Menu

Vision Therapy @ home: has anyone read Developing ocular motor....by Kenneth Lane

I have been reading many of the posts regarding Vision Therapy. We did have my ds8 evaluated and know that he would benefit from Tx, but of course it is not covered by our insurance.

I was wondering if anyone has read "Developing Ocular Motor and Visual Perceptual Skills: An Activity Workbook," by Kenneth Lane. It sounds like we could do many of these activities at home. Sorry if this has already been discussed on this board. For some reason, the WTM site is not letting me search the forums!!??

I would love to hear any pros/cons from parents who have had experience using this book or can recommend any others.

Thanks! :bigear:

I think the search feature is broken. It's not just you. :)

I haven't used the Kenneth Lane book, though I did look at it on amazon when someone mentioned it here. Our experience is like Dobela's in that VT was MUCH harder than what we could have gotten done on our own. Our VT could get through with dd in 1 hour what took us a WEEK to do! And we did quite a bit of homework. Dd usually managed to stretch her 20-30 minutes into an hour and a half...

So yes I know it's expensive. However for us it was the best way to get results. You're still going to be doing a lot at home. A good VT is worth their weight in gold, really and truly. She caught all kinds of stuff with us and got us over humps. We wouldn't have had the tools to do it at home. We just simply couldn't have done it.

I think the search feature is broken. It's not just you. :)

I haven't used the Kenneth Lane book, though I did look at it on amazon when someone mentioned it here. Our experience is like Dobela's in that VT was MUCH harder than what we could have gotten done on our own. Our VT could get through with dd in 1 hour what took us a WEEK to do! And we did quite a bit of homework. Dd usually managed to stretch her 20-30 minutes into an hour and a half...

So yes I know it's expensive. However for us it was the best way to get results. You're still going to be doing a lot at home. A good VT is worth their weight in gold, really and truly. She caught all kinds of stuff with us and got us over humps. We wouldn't have had the tools to do it at home. We just simply couldn't have done it.

:iagree: If I had tried to do VT at home, honestly I would have no idea if it was working or if we needed to take a different approach. The most valuable part of the VT was that she was able to tell us that it WAS tracking, and depth, and convergence... I would hate to buy a book and do all the exercises only to learn later they were the wrong exercises. A friend of mine has 2 children receiving VT -and their vision issues are completely different. We were also sent home with special items to use in our homework that I would have not had, or known how to use, with out the VT teaching me and providing them. VT is not a one size fits all kind of experience.

And we're not trying to be hard on you or insensitive. In the last year I've paid for OT, speech therapy, VT, etc., as well as my own health bills, all before hitting our exceedingly high deductible. I'm not without understanding of the expense or the sacrifice. We're just telling you in this case a good VT is worth it.

I agree with the others. I put off Vt because of the expense and can kick myself now. I tried OT and Brain Gym and do it yourself exercises and saw small improvements. Within three months of VT, my dtr was reading (and she is 9).

Many VTs offer Care Credit.

The total cost of Vt this school year will be $4,600 for us. Her confidence in reading, priceless. Do we still have working memory issues, yes..but the VT has set us up with an in-home computer program and we will plug away.