Menu

Tina, or anyone else using TOG with Veritas Cards

ssexton

We are really hitting our stride with TOG this year. I have three students spread between the LG, UG and Dialetic levels, and I've finally figured out how to make it work for us. But, I'd like to add in the VP cards for memory work and to provide some mental timeline pegs. I just can't figure out how to mesh these two resources. Can anyone tell me how they are doing this? Do you just memorize the song/cards independently and not worry about how they align?

Thanks!

I think there are copy right issues that may be why it is hard to find. :001_unsure:

I did find a chart but not in TOG order. Problem is I can only put TOG YR 2 in order any way due to me not knowing enough info on other TOG years.

You know.....this is starting to irk me. I am scheduling TOG on HST+ and it is a headache as no one can share plans due to copy rights.

I get protection, but these companies will loose sales if their products are hard to impliment fully due to not being able to share with eachother. :(

Thanks for all your searching, Angelbee! I have the VP cards and TM, but I don't have all the TOG units that I need to visualize how this could work. On the one hand, I think I should save the money and just use the VP materials. My oldest will be taking a history class at tutorial, and my middle child is not enthusiastic about history. I'm sure VP would be enough, kwim? And, I really like the memory aspect of the cards.

BUT...I love TOG! I love all the additional materials it provides. I love that I can pick and chose from so much good stuff! I love that it includes recommendations for my littlest guy. Ideally, I'd combine both VP and TOG, but they may be way more work than necessary.

I think there are copy right issues that may be why it is hard to find. :001_unsure:

I did find a chart but not in TOG order. Problem is I can only put TOG YR 2 in order any way due to me not knowing enough info on other TOG years.

You know.....this is starting to irk me. I am scheduling TOG on HST+ and it is a headache as no one can share plans due to copy rights.

I get protection, but these companies will loose sales if their products are hard to impliment fully due to not being able to share with eachother. :(

The TOG yahoo loops have TOG for HST, btw.

OP: I haven't lined them up yet, but I suspect I will pick the general area of time and not worry about lining them up exactly. My hope is that by the end of the period (school year, too), they'll have the timeline in their minds and make the connection to what we studied in TOG. If I go the other route, I will be sure to share here!

If you're looking for a memory work component, don't bother lining up all the cards. Just memorize all 160 VP Cards (5 sets with 32 cards in each set) as you go about your regular TOG studies. If you memorize the titles of 5 cards every week, you and your family will have memorized all 160 cards in 32 weeks! Each week, add 5 cards and continue to memorize the VP timeline on a cumulative basis. Begin your history studies with a daily 5 minute review of the timeline and then move into your regular routine. You can even pull a few of the cards that relate to things you've covered recently and ask your kids to elaborate more on the event/person. My kids enjoy doing this.

I know this may seem strange to memorize a timeline that is not lined up with what you're studying, but at some point, your student will encounter things in his TOG studies and a light bulb will go off. He'll say . . . "Hey! The Constitutional Convention convened a few years after the Treaty of Paris was signed." Having a timeline of people and events in our minds, can help us to to connect events in history in a more meaningful way.

As you memorize the cards, the historical timeline will become familiar to you and it will be a breeze to pull our relevant cards while you study things using TOG. I keep mine in a half-size binder in half-size page protectors. We pull out our VP cards often as a nice summary resource of our MFW history studies.

Thanks, everyone! Angela, I love your idea. I've been regretting that we haven't used, and therefore memorized, the VP cards before now. Why not work through them all next year? My rising 6th and 7th graders ought to be able to handle that! I'm not going to worry about everything lining up just right, either. I think they'll be able to make their own connections, and it will be easier for me too. Now I just have to find the money to buy the other cards and the TOG units I need! ;)

ETA: I just saw the half binders when I was at Staples yesterday. Thanks for the tip!

The TOG yahoo loops have TOG for HST, btw.

OP: I haven't lined them up yet, but I suspect I will pick the general area of time and not worry about lining them up exactly. My hope is that by the end of the period (school year, too), they'll have the timeline in their minds and make the connection to what we studied in TOG. If I go the other route, I will be sure to share here!

Can't find YR 2 which is the one I need.

Also it is not specific. Will save some time, but not as much as I could if it were fully done like some of the plans for other curriculums.

So, can you help a girl out? I can't for the life of me, figure out if you need to buy just the history cards, the Bible cards, or both? How do they relate to each other and how are they different?

I think a few overlap, like in ancients.

They are all worth it. Beautiful cards.

K....I found list of VP cards, but don't have specific TOG dates for some years. Can line up year 2, but may not be able to do others. :)

• 1 month later...