Menu

Homeschooling Two Different Learning Styles at Once

I have two children

#1-11 yo DD in 6th grade. Seems to fall mostly in Visual Spatial category. Some ADD/ADHD traits. Has great visual memory, loves picture books, loves to do hands on projects. Can not spell to save her life. Hates to read, seems to only skim, and can't remember anything she read (mostly because doesn't do it). Insists I read aloud (or audio) so she can do read alouds but then can't narrate most of what I read. Likes projects but not most projects listed for most history. She likes cake decorating, cooking, handicrafts, etc. She likes earning badges (with little work possible) and working independently but hates workbooks and worksheets. Almost done with Singapore and works fine (she struggle with Trailblazers in school) but not interested in LOF. Loved Cyberchase and Liberty Kids (but hates most documentaries-not enough flash). Hates School. Lives in fantasy land that she will grow up to be rich and famous without any effort on her part. Only likes experiments in science that have WOW factor. Doesn't like any discussions (unless it is about her, especially if it involves spending money on her).

#2 10 yo DS in 5th grade. Has Aspergers but seems to be more of an Audio-Sequential learner. Loves to read, reads slowly but retains. but loves read alouds. Can learn anything that is made into a song. Seems to be thriving with our Charlotte Mason curriculum. Loves Life of Fred (he's higher in math than her). Loves Science (reading, hands on, all of it). Hehates worksheets too but loves dicussions!

I can continue on with CM style for DS. I just don't know how to school DD at all so that she actually learns and then once I figure that out, how to incorporate it so that they both are doing their thing. I don't want her to feel left out by leaving her out of read alouds and discussions, etc.

We've had her eyes checked. She can see fine. She can visualize fine. She is not dyslexic or anythinig. She can read just fine. She just doesn't have the attention span for reading or listening. She hates being still that long. She likes pictures, especially cartoons. She loves color and lots of it. The more color the better.

Developmental optometrist or regular optometrist?

You know what's funny is the OT said my dd is ADD. She definitely has the working memory side of it, but the rest I sort of took with a grain of salt, as I couldn't see it. She has some of the impulsivity. The OT said some of it would chill just by doing more OT. Beyond that though, when you get into the realm where it's affecting school work, you're looking for meds or other options. But it sounds like you didn't want to talk ADD and therapies, just curriculum? My problem is I've modified till I'm blue in the face. We hit that point where modifying wasn't going to get us farther and we had to deal with the causes. But that's just our mix.

But yes, I let her read cartoons (Asterix, TinTin, Calvin & Hobbes, older stuff like Garfield and Family Circus, etc.). Yes, I print MM in color. She writes with colored pens for everything, including math. We don't even use pencils anymore, just colored pens. A lady at the convention suggested upping the ante even further for handwriting by using an embossing pen and the glitter stuff that puffs up with heat.

As the material gets more and more abstract and more and more textbooky (but not so easily hands-on) I'm working harder to bring in videos, websites, etc. to spice things up. I guess everyone else does that naturally. I'm such a happy textbook person, I could be content without.

Have you tried putting her on an exercise ball while she reads? There are seat wedges you can buy at Abilitations (and other places) that inflate slightly and have nubbies on them. It gives just enough sensory input that it can help the kids chill and focus better. Our SLP uses one with ds during speech sessions. You can put it in the chair or put something like that on the floor to go under their feet. Don't know exactly why sensory input helps them focus, but there you go. Some people on here have talked about school time improvements with meds. I've never even been remotely interested in meds, however it might be something to consider if you can't get any alternative stuff (caffeine, sensory input, etc.) to work for you.

I just started reading a book about the scattered child that I'm hoping will be good. We'll see. Unfortunately, for us all this mixes in with executive function. When you hit the logic stage and start expecting logic to their thought process, you're sort of shocked by what you get, lol.

I've done the ADD route with DS. I am ADD myself.

1) Can't do meds because of tic disorders

2) DIet helps but can't be enforced. She strongly reacts to red food dye. I can keep it out of home but at church they give out red candy and she gets red fruit punch, etc from vending machine. The church won't stop doing it and she will not not take it. She will take it and not tell me or lie about it but she won't give it up. The only candy and sodas and things she want s are red. SHe also won't eat meat or beans so she doesn't get enough protein. She will only eat potatoes, pasta, breads, and white rice, fruit, lettuce, tomatoes, yogurt (only strawberry flavored kind w/HFCS) and peanut butter. My temper is too bad for me to get into food battles with her. I also can't afford the non-diet food

3) We have $5000 deductible insurance. We have to pay 100% of everything up to that point. I have no money to pursue additional therapies, etc.

Her executive functions skills are not that bad (compared to ds). I can give her a list of what to do and she will do it and check off her boxes. She has her notebooks for her different badges, etc. and can keep up with it (whereas DS makes a paper airplane from his and loses any worksheet I give him. Can never find anything). If she desires to learn about something, she can find the resources and learn all about it. She is very resourceful and has good initiative IF SHE WANTS IT.

I know about the food at church thing, mercy. I get so tired of Mondays... If it wasn't what she snitched at church, it was the hotdog or junk food on Saturdays. But we'll just stop there. I'm pulling my ds off milk, because it seems to be whacking him out. And it's weird how they CRAVE the things that are hurting them.

Elizabeth, what is the title of the scattered child book?

I definitely understand about accomodating a child! That's my whole life! When her ballet teacher finally complained to me two weeks ago (after NINE YEARS as her teacher...grrr) that my daughter wasn't focusing properly in class, I had her put on Vyvanse. The doctor recommended it very highly and said the quality was like Godiva chocolate vs. Hershey's (Hershey's being Ritalin and Adderall). Whoops, I shouldn't have mentioned chocolate. We'll see how that goes.

AuntPol, you might want to think about technical-type training for her. She may be the type of person who will want to start working at an early age. The world is made up of all sorts of people, and she might just be someone who needs to get out into the real world and *do* something.

I appreciate that I have a place to type stuff out -it helps me process what I need to do. Right now, I am trying to discern what is learning preferences and what is just laziness.

Here is what she likes/Dislikes

Reading

Prefer not to read but

Books that are funny, sarcastic

Books that are realistic and set in modern times AND relate to her personally. (hates historical fiction, bios, princess diaries).

Female Protagonists or at least a strong female secondary like Hermione in Harry Potter.

Books below her reading level so she doesn't have to think.

Things she can cram and flush (hates to have to remember to keep going-like Latin)

Would rather read two chapters of two different books than 2 chapters of 1 book.

Lots of pictures

Short chapters

Says she likes me reading aloud so that she can do handicrafts but finally admits she can't concentrate well on read alouds and prefers to read it herself.

Has some comprehension issues on tests. However, she seems fine at home IF SHE ACTUALLY READS IT. I think she doesn't read the test thoroughly and picks first answer that sounds good without reading all the answers. She is also an out of box thinker so can make any answer fit.

Language Arts

MCT for grammar is fine. The story is humorous and 1 practice problem a day is fine.

Writing

She thought IEW videos were boring (DS loves them though). She likes MCT better but her writing has gotten worse with it.

She does not want to write about history PERIOD.

She likes check lists and rubrics.

She actually likes copywork though her penmanship is not the greatest.

Latin

Hates it with a passion

Wants to learn Greek or Chinese instead (But not showing any initiative w/Greek book I bought her).

Doesn't like guy on LFC

Thinks it moves to quickly -can't remember all the words but won't do the daily review.

Thinks all the words sound alike.

I think a lot is my fault as Latin is first thing to get dropped on a busy day so we're not consistent.

Vocabulary

Hates Caesar's English

Didn't learn any vocabulary from Latin -is not seeing the connection perhaps?

If I say write down and look up words in book you are reading, then she says she knows all the words. Will not do this.

Can't seem to get words from context either. (per testing results)

Spelling

Not a natural speller, but doesen't hate spelling (We use SWR)

No spelling bees please.

Math

Singapore is okay but it's just something to do. She is on 6A. She will start 7th grade w/6B but don't know what to do next.

LOF -loves the story but wants to read it all at once. Doesn't work for her with math,

Loves Cyberchase and it really helped her through some walls. However, she is past the math level to which is goes. Is there someting like this for algebra?

History

Not interested in History other than Ancient History -Greek especially but Egyptian, Roman, African, Aborginal Australian, Chinese, Japanese (she likes mythology and ancient religions and their artwork mostly-also the mystery of it-she can imagine it -anything newer is not a mystery as we have concrete evidence).

Doesn't like historical documentaries,

Doesn't like text books

Doesn't like the Foster books (neither kid did)

Doesn't like historical fiction or biographies

Doesn't want to write about history

Doesn't want to watch movies about history

Did like Liberty Kids

Geography

It's okay

Mapwork isn't too bad

Doesn't like Sheppards Geography

State songs are okay

Videos are okay but many are boring

Government/Civics

Does not care one iota about anything to do with government or politics

It's boring.

Science

The Elements was okay but doesn't like Carbon CHemistry (hates the worksheet and research stuff).

The Way We Work was over her head but she liked the pictures and style. The information was just too hard for her to grasp. Will try again in high school.

Likes Mythbusters, Animal Planet, Magic School Bus

Likes experiments and hands on but not Middle School Chemistry worksheets/lab reports

Likes museums, zoos, and aquariums but doesn't want to learn the "why" -just the "wow"

Doesn't mind reading PH Explorer Anatomy book or outlining it. She doesn't care for doing the questions or quizes though.

Logic

Doesn't like Orbiting with Logic series -boring

Not into chess or strategy games (though she is pretty good at chess)

Likes Fallacy Detective but doesn't seem to be able to keep the different fallacies straight. She can spot there is a fallacy there though. We do this aloud and her brother answers too fast so she doesn't get much chance.

Fine Arts

Likes pop music but nothing much else.

Wants to learn guitar but doesn't want to practice

Likes to draw but doesn't want to do a curriculum. She hasn't moved on from early grammar skills.

Overall

She wants a checklist of what to do and left alone to do it. (She's very social and really just wants to get done so she can chat, text, call, etc.)

She doesn't want to discuss with me but doesn't want to do worksheets or write it out either! I told her I need some sort of way to evaluate what she is learning LOL.

Worksheets that are charts, mind maps, t-charts, etc are preferrable to writing out answers to questions. Making lists not too bad.

Doesn't want to do what her brother is doing at all. It bothers her that her younger brother is doing better than she is. She compares herself to him and is embarrassed that that he does higher math and does same level of Iowa testing.

In groups, she doesn't want to outshine her peers in front of them, for fear they will be upset but on the otherhand, gets real jealous if they outshine her. She does not want to compete with them period so no Science Fairs, Spelling Bees, etc.

She seems to not be wanting to adapt to the work of the Logic Stage -she wants the oohs and ahs and "fun" of grammar stage.

Is peer oriented, loves people and being around people (but not her parents or her brother)

Doesn't like lectures (tunes out) or reading

Can't remember anything she hears but can remember what she sees if it is in a picture form

Likes to do things -likes to sew, bake, cook, cake decorating, doing handicrafts (but not busywork crafts-hate coloring, cut and paste, lapbooks), making videos for her youtube channel.

Likes drama, dance and singing but doesn't have good stage presence IMHO (she gets nervous and stares at ground on stage but she's not bad in her videos)

Good initiative, creativity, and problem solving skills IF INTERESTED

Likes adventure -rock climbing, white water rafting, etc -real adreniline junkie

Materialistic -gifts seem to be her love language

Very naturally athletic but doesn't like practicing sports. Hates routine and drills.

Good teacher -she is great with little kids and good at breaking down things to a child's level. Toddlers through Kindergarteners love her!

Bossy -tries to be my mom.

Edited by AuntPol

My Son

Here is what she likes/Dislikes

Reading

Loves to read but hates to read for school because he is a slower reader than his sister and it makes him frustrated (even though he retains way more than she)

Loves adventure and fantasy

VERY slow reader

Likes me to read aloud and grasps very well from that

Perfers me reading to audio books because he can stop me and ask questions and dialogue. He really is an oral processor and has to talk and discuss things to get them.

Likes analysis discussions

Loves poetry memorization and finding meter, etc.

Language Arts

MCT for grammar is fine. The story is humorous and 1 practice problem a day is fine.

Writing

Likes the IEW video. He thinks Andrew is hilarious

Doesn't want to write about anything but star wars or guns

Really doesn't care to write period.

If he has to write on a worksheet or anything, he will do as few words as possible. He will not write a complete sentence. He will actually spend 30 minutes counting letters in words to pick the shortest word.

Likes Druidawn (but his sister doesn't so no one to do it with)

Latin

Likes Latin okay

Says its hard though because I am not consistent with it

Vocabulary

Not interested in Caesar's English but loves big words and picks them up in context okay.

Spelling

Natural speller

loves spelling w/SWR,

Loves Spelling bees -prefers to be tested orally

Math

Really liked Singapore

Likes the story of Life of Fred but finds it frustrating for math. He especially doesn't like Biology mixed with his math. He also doesn't like having the answers so close to questions. He finds it tempting and he is my "don't show me the answer book" kid (whereas I have to hide it from DD because she will cheat).

Likes Khan Academy videos

Dying to start Algebra -not sure what to use now.

History

Likes history related war games on the computer

Not his favorite subject but really does do a lot of discussion and likes to make the connections.

Not big on documentaries unless they are really interesting ones (and most bore me too)

He did not like Foster's books though. It jumps around too much.

Geography

Likes state songs (any thing in a song)

Hates mapwork

No interest in other cultures

Government/Civics

Says it's boring but likes to debate politics all day long.

Science

Loves The Elements and Carbon CHemistry -though not big on the research part (struggles with getting right terms for search and understand it's a skill he needs to work.

Really likes the "why" behind the "wow"

Likes How We Work but says it takes me 2-3 reads to process it.

Thinks his sister should fill out his lab work.

Likes mythbusters

Really likes just about anything I give him in science as long as he doesn't have to write.

Logic

Doesn't like Orbiting with Logic series-it was either too hard or too easy depending on category. Really likes logic problems like mindbenders. The analogies were too hard because the vocabulary was unfamiliar.

LOVES Fallacy Detective

Loves Chess and is really, really good. Most people won't play him because he always wins.

Loves strategy games

Overall

Aspergers

Basically is a joy to teach as far as discussion and retention goes

Doesn't complain unless he has to write

Talks way too much.

Can't make it through read aloud with out stopping me to ask a question (but at least his questions are on topic -dd interupts me to discuss herself).

No executive function skills -make a list, it's a paper airplane. I have to sit beside him for work to get done. If I am not beside him when he finishes, he just plays. He tells me he doesn't know what to do next (this is with doing the same thing every day, having a paper list, and having it on board.)

Chores charts don't work -he forgets to check

Can not take multi-step directions. I can't say clean your room. He doesn't know what that means. I can't say go make your bed, dust, and sweep, and pick-up,etc. I have to stand in his room and tell him each step of making the bed, what to pick (item by item) and where to put it, etc. It's maddening.

Loses every piece of paper I give him. Can't find his workbooks, -nothing makes it back to the shelf.

He would not find his hiney in the dark with a flashlight.

Can remember everything he hears and really processses via discussion.

Has awesome stage presence -a natural performer. Is very musically gifted, loves to watch musicals, great dancer, etc but has zero interest in drama or dance, and says guitar lessons were too hard (too repetitive and takes away from video games).

Loves weapons and military stuff.

Loves Brazilian Jui Jitsu.

Likes outdoor stuff like hiking and camping but not quite the adreniline junkie that my dd is. He's more cautious.

He learned to read by listening to me do 100 ez lessons with his sister while he was playing with legos.

He's one of those kids who can be totally engrossed with doing legos or spinning around in circles and look like he's not paying attention but then knows everything you said (whereas my dd looks like she is paying attention but has no clue to what you said).

Me

Reading

Overall, I don't mind reading aloud because it forces me to keep up but I do get tired of talking

I like non-fiction over fiction -I like bullets and to the point. I love Lori D's style of writing. I love lists.

I like historical fiction and mysteries and some fantasy adventure. I hate science fiction and modern fiction.

Writing

I hate cursive writing.

I don't care for story writing that much

However, I have to write it to retain.

I like IEW videos but want to apply writing to what we are actually doing and not make it a separate subject. I am not a natural teacher though so TWSS may not make it through translation.

Latin

I love Latin

Language Arts

I have large vocabulary and pretty decent speller but I mispronounce almost everything because I never heard it pronounced. I'm a natural speller but not a natural pronouncer lol (DS is same way).

Math

I love algebra but hate geometry. Whenever kids have a geometry problems, I freak out (can't remember the formulas at all)

Logic

I love logic. I love logic problems, analogies, fallacies, debating (but not fighting).

History

I love history. I like historical fiction and movies

I like the connections

I like the mysteries and cultural things over the wars

I always like ancients best myself but I like it all.

Government

Love it-I was a geopoltical analyst in the military!

Geogrpahy

Love learning about places. I could read travel brochures forever.

Science

I like some science.

I like knowing the why

I hate physics though -I can't grasp it. I wish I could but it boggles my mind.

I don't like earth science that much but I love to go fossil hunting and I appreciate the beauty and the mystery but I do not care what the levels of the atmosphere are nor do I care which cloud has what name. Those are cram and flush things to me.

I love chemistry

I like animal studies but hate plants (other than trees)

I like to read about it and watch it but hate doing hands on experiments.

I love movies and documentaries and tv shows -as long as it is not too long or too boring. I don't like new style of movies w/flashbacks, incoherent story lines, and no real plot. If it's nominated for an Oscar, I probably won't like it.

ALso -I don't randomly watch tv. I didn't own a tv from time I left for college until I got married at 29!

I like making to do lists but I don't like having to do them daily.

I like routine and don't like my routine to be put out of whack. I have to do things in a certain order and if something impedes my order. I am stuck. I can't move on easily.

I am an adrenline junkie -love bungee jumping, sky diving, white water rafting

I love the woods and mountains but not the ocean.

I don't do the broken record routine well but I try and want to.

I have a huge temper and raise my voice easily.

I'm hearing impaired so I don't always realize how loud I am

I avoid conflict as much as possible, especially in my family since I have to deal with them day in and day out. I don't have the willpower to stand the long haul. My dd killed me in toddlerhoood with 9 hour straight tantrums. It put me in a depression that took a long time to get out of.

I don't like white noise or background noise. I don't listen to radio or watch tv unless I have a purpose for doing so.

I don't like to cook, I don't like to clean, I don't like little kids and I can't sew.

I hate oral narration because I zone out when people talk to me. I would rather they write it out or give me a worksheet to check (but I don't really like the drudgery of checking work)

I don't mind give and take discussions though. I love those.

I don't learn by lecture. I learn by reading or discussing

I don't like to "do" -I like to read.

My husband

Loves to read and has to read every.single.night.

Loves to watch tv and watches it all.the.time

Loves background noise

Loves talk radio (drives me nuts -get to the point)

Hates to write and has horrid handwriting

Has horrible grammar.

Loves math and science

Loves history -especially middle ages

Doesn't like logic problems or sudoku but likes chess, strategy games, and jigsaws.

Likes to lecture

Speaks fluent Spanish but won't teach kids

Likes sports and coaching but not very athletic (But good coach)

Is messy, messy, messy. He's a hoarder. He hates to clean. Doesn't know where to start.

Addicted to video games

Likes to teach and is a great teacher (If only we could afford to switch places)

Has no desire to be part of homschool planning and seems to think we can cram a gazillion things into the day,

He has poor concept of time. He is a best case scenario planner. He is chroncially two hours late.

Places EXTREME importance on testing. He values high test scores more than actual knowledge or critical thinking.

He seems to learn by reading or watching tv but not interested in "doing" -well he "does" at work but at home, he sits on couch from moment he walks in the house until he goes to bed, day in and day out (But to be fair, he does do a lot of things out of the house like coaching sports, leading scouts, etc.)

Not a planner. Does not like planning (I adore planning and don't like to wing it)

Wealth of book knowledge and trivia.

Hates word games because I beat him lol.

Not a Christian but doesn't care if I use Christian materials so long as I don't teach YEC (which I am not).

Edited by AuntPol

I don't know what to tell you as I don't have it figured out either, but my 14yo dd sounds just like your daughter and your list could have been mine!

I switched curriculum around for her several times and it didn't seem to make a difference. Now I'm just plodding along and trying to make sure she stays on track and gets her work done. I am afraid I'm going to have to go all drill-sgt. on her next year for high school. :willy_nilly:

If you figure it out, let me know. :001_smile:

Bump

I'm really banging my head here. I bought homeschooling the real child because Captuhura told me that there is a description of my dd on it -bright and creative but non-academic. I paid by paypal so still waiting for it to processs :tongue_smilie:

Talking to my DH is no use. He doesn't like the CM method I use. He wants me to make them work 100% independently -no read alouds, no discussions, no movies on his time. He wants them to have to write down answers to questions in every subject (or me make out fill in the blank and multiple choice worksheets for every subject) and then have them do a weekly test and if they fail, they lose all weekend privilages.

I have tried to explain to him that this will not help our son. He is a very slow reader. It takes him twice as long to read as it does our daughter. He is a very slow writer and writing on worksheets makes him melt down. So by doing this, I will probably add 4-5 hours to already long school day and create two children that hate learning instead of one. My dd hates worksheets and I really think she is going to hate school no matter what so I don't see it helping either. I did TOG at beginning of year with questiosn and weekly tests and it didn't help. She didn't care if she passed or failed. Passing didn't make her excited and failing just made her hate me more when I made her redo all the readings and work. I cvan guarantee you that she still doesn't remember the material we covered on that lesson after she took the second test.

Of course, this is same man who answers all my problems with the children that I need to spank them more. (MInd you, he has only spanked them once or twice ever -he thinks I need to spank them every day and be the bad guy). I'm not a spanker -it's not my nature and not something I think will work anyway.

I recommend reading some of Dianne Craft's suggestions on right brain learners. Also, there is a great forum called homeschoolingcreatively on yahoo that might be helpful. My suggestion for your dd is to make everything visual. When you read aloud (to dd and ds if you like), make sure you are reading from a highly illustrated full color book. Graphic novels from Capstone Press are great. They have history and science ones. Do NOT make your dd "discuss" what she reads. I made this mistake with my dd, who is right-brained, visual spatial. You do not want to make reading a drudgery. I have a shelf of books that my dd make select from to read for a certain amount of time every day. I do not ask her any questions about them or try to have book discussions. I am encouraging her exploration of books she might not read. If she hates them, she does not have to continue them. Have lots of picture books and comic books (there are tons of educational ones out now... they are usually called graphic novels now). If your dd hates to write (like many right-brainers), then do not require much of it. Do most of your stuff aloud and allow typing for anything which must be written. Except for handwriting practice. Have really short cursive practice every day. It helps make connections between her left and right brain in a way printing does not. I will check your other post and make specific curriculum suggestions in a minute. Hope this helps!

Character Eduation: Get picture books (scholastic has tons) on various character traits that you want her to work on. Snuggle together on the couch, and you read aloud to her while she looks at the pages you are reading. Do not discuss further unless she brings it up. Read many, many picture books on specific character traits and also on manners. Lots of cute one out there.

Latin: Try Minimus. It has cartoons. Get the audio cd and teacher manual. We usually follow along and then take turns reading it aloud in latin. Then we try to translate. Sometimes we translate together, sometimes she does it all. Out loud. No written work.

History: Read graphic novels and picture books and full-color heavily illustrated only. If she likes to draw or craft and is willing, have her draw a picture of something related to the history read that day, and then you write a caption for her picture on the board (or a piece of paper), and she can copy it onto her picture somewhere. If you include the year, you can hang it up around the room to make a timeline.

Literature: Mosdos Press. You read aloud to her while she watches the pages (they're colorful) or if she's willing, she can read to herself. Only do the questions aloud or not at all. We make a folder together for each story, using fun shaped notepads and Classic Accents from the teacher store. I do all the writing. Have a visual representation for every term you teach. For conflict, have a red flag with the word "conflict" on it. For setting, a globe notepad and a clock notepad are good. Label them. Pencil notepad is good for author. Etc.

Science: Max Axiom comic books. Science Wiz kits (and their accompanying books) are great!

Grammar: Ugh. Hard topic for right brainers. Super Duper Inc. makes colorful fun decks on different parts of speech and other grammar issues. The Sentence Family from St. Michael School is wonderful, but won't take very long. Grammar Tales and Parts of Speech Tales and Punctuation Tales by Scholastic. Also, diagramming seems helpful with right-brainers. Try going through Mary Daly's First Whole Book of Diagrams together.

Copywork is great for right-brainers that are willing. Don't make it too long.

Typing: Get a fun kids typing program. We like Spongebob Typing (says its for 1st - 3rd graders, but I disagree). You may have to help her advance through levels once she's learned the letters, because being too slow can hold her back and that will come in time. No need to frustrate. You just advance her yourself to the next level if she's already learned the fingering for a particular level and just isn't fast enough.

Right brainers are unique thinkers, but cannot necessarily produce work in a left-brained fashion. If she cries or hates it, she's telling you it doesn't work for her. It is not a laziness issue. Honestly. It's contrary to how she learns, and she doesn't know how to communicate that, so she looks lazy. She's not.

Math: I know after Singapore Math, Discovering Mathematics (by singapore) seems to be full-color. I have my eye on that for when my dd is ready. I'm not sure what else to recommend though, as I haven't gotten there yet. Maybe Teaching Textbooks?

Best of luck! You're doing great!

I appreciate the suggestions though most are beneath her age range (rising 7th grader). We've done almost every one LOL! I bought Minimus a few months ago and we're far past that in Latin (Did LFC A) but it is a fun curriculum. MCT is working just fine for grammar. It's quick and to the point for her.

I can't do any reading aloud with her. She can't focus when I read aloud so all the time I spend reading to her is wasted. She admits that she tunes the sound of my voice out. This I understand because I can't listen to read alouds either. I struggle to keep up w/their audio books because I am not an audio either. She also doesn't want to sit next to me. She really doesn't want to have anything to do with me, her father or her brother. (We are those alien people that kidnapped the royal princess at birth, doncha know). It's kind of weird as she is "Sociable Sue" but she doesnt' want any sociallizing with her family.

I am leary of not discussing because then she will not read. If she knows I am not going to ask her a question, she will sit there and stare at the book and flip the pages for 5 minutes and tell me she is done reading. If I set a minimum time for reading of say 30 minutes, then she will slip the pages for 30 minutes. I have seen her do it many, many times. If I leave her in alone in the room with an answer guide, she will cheat -each and every time. She is all about doing whatever it takes to do the least amount of work possible. Discussing is out though anyway because my husband wants me to make multiple choice worksheets for each and everything she reads.........

LOL -I tell you this child is hard!! She's got all the aspects of myself that I don't like and then where we differ, it is the areas where I would rather she be like me!

I have some ideas:

Literature:

Make a list of books that are acceptable to me and go with our time period, have guides, etc that they can read for literature. They can pick out books and do (not sure how many to do a year though?). I will let them research book reviews on amazon and look through library to see which ones are audio, large print, etc. They can work through book with guide on own or with me. They don't have to do all books with guide but at least a certain amount. They can use audio book or not.

**I will keep in Plutarch and Myths because both of those go with the Ancients that my DD Loves. We will keep in Shakespeare -reading it together aloud and using paper dolls for reenacting. She rolls her eyes at Shakespeare but she likes to quote him lol. Perhaps, she can make it into a film or a modernized musical or the Monster High version of Shakespeare or something.

Writing

We will continue on as planned. They will be doing 2 written narrations a week, summarize current event calendar once a week, one day of copywork (which she loves) and one day of dictation. Any other writing will be done in the context of needs for Scout Badges.

Language Arts

Continue on as same since everyone seems to like it

Math

She will finish 6B and both LOF in first semester of the year. I have no idea of what to do next. I plan to do AOPS with her brother but I want to do something different with her because a) she is not as mathy and b) keep comparisons down.

Science

Currently thinking Exploration Education (Advanced Kit) -the online portion looks interesting and it has a hands on component almost daily. I think this combines with Secrets of the Universe and The Way Science Works might make for a good course. Additionally, I've ordered What Einstein Told His Cook and Joy of Cooking to see if I can trigger more love for science via her love for cooking (and perhaps trigger a love of cooking from DS's love of science lol). We will keep nature study and be more diligent. I'm trying to add in a few physical science related Scout Badges -AHG has a kitchen scientist one and

History

Short spine that can be read on Monday and then rest of week -read a non-fiction book and/or historical fiction book (their choice) that expands topics of interest. I'm making a list of possible scout badges that go along with history topics like Wright Brothers/Earhart/Lindbergh (Aviation badge), Manhattan Fire (Fire Safety). George Eastman (Photography), Moonwalk (Space). She's highly motivated for badges so this give some ideas for projects, written papers, etc. (that end up being her idea and not assigned lol).

**I'm thinking of having her do a scrapbook layout each week using historical photographs from the internet and then writing captions in lieu of a narration.

**I want her to plan a themed family night once a month that goes with history (roaring 20's night, fifties night, -see the badges from Historically Speaking).

Narrations

2 written (one history and once science) per week ( I want to suggest that she makes a This Week in Homeschool newsletter with both their narrations and a few pictures that she takes); one a drawn picture, others orally with narration cube or narration jar, and one that she does with her beloved video camera or other creative ways (ask her to come up with ideas).

Latin and Other Languages

Latin Prep???? -it looks like it has pictures and is broken down to where it can do an exercise 2-3 times a week and then memory work daily and much more flexible looking thant LFC. Then will free her up to work on Greek per request.

Art

Drop I Can Do All Things (or I as I call it "I Can Do All Things But Get This Curriculum Done" -it's rather boring) and do Artistic Pursuits instead. Add in Dover postcards for Art History -and have her scrapbook them w/a narration

Geography

I plan to have them read 360 Longitude. I thought I might have her make a postcard from whatever country they read about that week and write a note as if she was on that trip. Use Historically Speaking Patches for motivation to delve further.

We will continue with plans for Government/Economics, Logic, and Music Appreciation. I think Logic will go over better if I do the questions w/her separately since her brother always answers first and she doesn't get a chance to answer.

**Note I will still read aloud to DS as needed but we can do that in a different room and just let her read and use the extra time to do the more interesting narration projects).

I hope so.

Yesterday, DH and I had issues. He doesn't think I should do read alouds. He equates it with childhood reading. I told him that I would like to keep at least one read aloud or lecture because she needs to train herself to be able to keep up with lectures in college.

He said I wasn't preparing them for college because I didn't give multiple choice tests. I told him I never took a multiple choice test in college. We both went to 3 different colleges. I only had essays, translations or solve problems. He went to 3 different colleges and had mutiple choice! So we are looking at things from two different perspectives.

Anyway, he likes my ideas. My daughter likes my ideas. She reads and does projects on her own. She asks for my help when needed but only has one read aloud a day from me and it's our tea time reading. There is one other reading a day that I will have her read a day ahead on and then join us for discussion time or sit in on the reading if she had difficulting understanding. Since she processes faster and is inherently more organized, she will have things to do so it's not like she's done and into free time (which upset DS who does same amount but slower processing) while I work with her brother on organizational skills and doing more one one on work that he needs. The projects won't be busy work type projects because they have meaning. Most will count for scout badges. The newsletter is sent to grandparents each week. The history scrapbook can be cumulative and giver her a sense of accomplishment that she can show off at our homeschool group's yearly talent show and display your work event.

Now, I have to hold my breath and pray that it works out!

I am using bribery in math right now. Each kid signed up for a Khan Academy Account and are earning badges. they get $.25 for a meteorite (1 time only as easy to earn multiples), $.50 for moon badges (again only once), and $5 for completeing the challenge (there are 4). It's easy money to start with but will get more challenging. My son is already learning new to him math skills!

I've been really watching and observing my daughter. I've been reading Dreamers, Discoverers, and Doers. This book describes my daughter so much. I've always thought that she was probably as bright as my son but that her thinking was just so odd that it was hard to see. But oh how some of the characteristics fit her

-She hates being told what to do.

-She's so active. She hates to sit still. This child rolled over when she was 11 days old. She was sitting up when she was barely 3 months, crawling at 4 months, walking holding onto chairs at 6 months, fully walking at 7 months, and running at 8 months.

-She's always been my investigator. She was the one I had to hide everything from. She painted her feet with my lipstick, painted the walls and all the toys with her poop, colored on all the walls, wrote her name on every surface of the house (still finding places, lol)

-She never accepts no as an answer. There is always a way in her mind to get what she wants. When she wanted guitar lessons but the school was already started. She wrote the school (pretending to be me) to ask if there was a way to get in. When Girl Scout cookies forms were released but our troop didn't have them because cookie mom was still getting trained, she created her own forms. She nags me to death.

-This child is very emotional. She had 9 hour tantrums as a toddler. Seriously. I have told my friends who talk about me because she won't eat meat and her hair is a mess that I just didn't have the strength left to deal with those battles. I had enough just trying to keep her safe.

-She never seems to think like "normal" people and inserts the craziest things into conversation because her leaps of thoughts lead her in unusual ways.

-She craves novelty, excitement. This child is an adreninline junkie. She loves roller coasters, loves being the flyer in cheerleading, loves racing down the hill on her bike, loves the wow factor science projects, always seems to be looking for that fix. She is the jump in first without looking type. No fear!

-Projects. This child loves to do projects. She has her own youtube channel and is up to 14 fans! She loves to make things. She loves to do.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest kd1975

Has your daughter tried the Percy Jackson series? My son hates reading when tested through a psychoeducational assessment, his reading speeding was 6.

He did the entire Percy Jackson series and there is a female protagonist in it. We did audio cds (so he was following with his eyes and listening), his recall was much better.

After that we bought him the Percy Jackson graphic novel and recently we've come across another greek mythology series. By George O'Connor, it's another graphic novel series.

http://www.amazon.com/George-OConnor/e/B001H6U1PU/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1

Very inexpensive.

We've been told it doesn't matter so much what he reads as long as he's reading something. Another suggestion is Hi-Lo Books (High Interest-Low Reading Level).

http://childrensbooks.about.com/od/toppicks/tp/hi_lo_books.htm