Menu

Is this doable for 7th grade?

My daughter will be turning 12yo and in 7th grade in the fall. I guess my concern is whether or not it is wise to start IEW and First Form Latin in the same year. She's had no writing instruction beyond what is taught in R&S English and she's never had Latin (some Greek but no Latin). She does love to write though. Are both of these really going to be really teacher-intensive? The only reason it may be an issue is because I still spend a great deal of time supervising my son's work (9yo).

Here is what I'm considering and the number of times per week we'd need to do that subject...

R&S Math (5x)

R&S English (3x)

R&S Spelling (3-4x)

Student Writing Intensive B (IEW) (??)

Abeka Of Places (and additional assigned reading) (5x)

Fallacy Detective (1x)

Maps, Charts, Graphs G (1x)

ArtPac (Perspective drawing) (1x)

First Form Latin (daily, I'm assuming)

Science - God's Design for the Physical World (supplemented with biographies and Exploring the World of Physics) (4x)

History - Mystery of History 3 (4x)

Bible - Studying God's Word F (4x) and Reformation Heroes (1x)

Edited by Daisy

No one? I guess I just don't know enough about IEW and First Form to know how long they are going to take. If anyone knows how often & how long they do IEW SWI B or First Form Latin, it would help.

I'm not worried about the rest of it.

If IEW takes a long time to get used to, then I'll likely stagger the start of First Form Latin, bumping it to January 2012 or even 8th grade.

Daisy,

I wanted to comment after reading your post, but have no experience with IEW, R&S or FFL. :001_unsure:

One scheduling possibility is to plan a set time for each subject, and move onto the next one if she reaches the minute mark. Personally I like to naturally flow from one lesson to the next without feeling rushed. I also prefer to plan our schedule and add rather than drop a subject.

I'm looking forward to hearing more voices sound in.

We're using First Form Latin and I would consider it a daily subject. I think if you have the audio cds and use the first 2-3 days of the week for teaching instruction, you would then find that at least 2-3 days per week could be managed with her working independently. I think the workbook is great. It gives the needed practice and tends to follow the same format. Once she is used to what needs to be done, she could manage the workbook pages (or some of them, depending on how involved you need to be with your particular child) easily on her own. I hope that helps a little.

ETA: Time management: Maybe more time on Monday and Tuesday to get the new chapter started, but with less time on the remaining days. For us, maybe 40-45 minutes for review of conjugations, declensions, vocab. etc. 2-3 times a week as well as teach the new grammar lesson and 30 min. for the remaining days(Workbook page and independent study...we have the flashcards too).

Edited by Kfamily

I'm thinking of using First Form, too. Did you know they have a DVD teaching the lessons? Are you planning to use that?

I have used IEW. Yes, it's teacher intensive the first year, I would say. Will you be using their theme-based books or will you use your own literature? What are your goals for your dd? Do you want her to finish a paper per week, bi-weekly, or ? If you want her to produce a paper per week, you could spend 45 min to an hour per day (4x per week) to accomplish this.

We did IEW this way (paper per week, theme-based book) in a co-op and spent an hour per day 3-4x per week. The pace was faster than I liked, but certainly doable. Didn't have to pull any teeth :D

Personally, I would rather spend 30 min per day and produce a paper every 2 weeks. This is what we're planning for next school year - more relaxed. Since your dd enjoys writing, this shouldn't be a problem. And stopping an IEW lesson in the middle (if you're going by the clock) is fine, as long as your dd is OK with it. My ds12 enjoys writing as well, and had no problem putting away the IEW and picking it up again.

Hope I didn't ramble too much and this was somewhat helpful,

Cheryl

I'm thinking of using First Form, too. Did you know they have a DVD teaching the lessons? Are you planning to use that?

I have used IEW. Yes, it's teacher intensive the first year, I would say. Will you be using their theme-based books or will you use your own literature? What are your goals for your dd? Do you want her to finish a paper per week, bi-weekly, or ? If you want her to produce a paper per week, you could spend 45 min to an hour per day (4x per week) to accomplish this.

We did IEW this way (paper per week, theme-based book) in a co-op and spent an hour per day 3-4x per week. The pace was faster than I liked, but certainly doable. Didn't have to pull any teeth :D

Personally, I would rather spend 30 min per day and produce a paper every 2 weeks. This is what we're planning for next school year - more relaxed. Since your dd enjoys writing, this shouldn't be a problem. And stopping an IEW lesson in the middle (if you're going by the clock) is fine, as long as your dd is OK with it. My ds12 enjoys writing as well, and had no problem putting away the IEW and picking it up again.

Hope I didn't ramble too much and this was somewhat helpful,

Cheryl

YES! Very helpful. I'm planning on using the Student Writing Intensive B and have it last the entire year. I think that puts us into your second/slower pacing, correct?

I am planning on using the DVDs for First Form and I'd really like to do the subject with her (and learn more Latin myself).

So with both subjects I'm looking at adding a good 1-1.5 hours a day of work it sounds like.

I am planning on using the DVDs for First Form and I'd really like to do the subject with her (and learn more Latin myself).

So with both subjects I'm looking at adding a good 1-1.5 hours a day of work it sounds like.

Not sure about the time factor for FF. As for IEW, you also have the TWSS (teacher book), right? I would recommend teaching yourself the first few lessons before starting with your dd. I just think it would go smoother if you familiarize yourself with it first - and maybe you already have/are planning to do this.

Not sure about the time factor for FF. As for IEW, you also have the TWSS (teacher book), right? I would recommend teaching yourself the first few lessons before starting with your dd. I just think it would go smoother if you familiarize yourself with it first - and maybe you already have/are planning to do this.

Yes, the plan is for me to watch the seminar over the summer months. I'd like to use this with my son also so I REALLY need to watch the seminar. LOL.