Menu

MFW Conference Question

Mallorie

I've tentatively decided to do MFW ECC next year with all three of my kids, with the 7-8th add-on pack. So this isn't another thread debating whether or not I should use it.

I am going to a homeschool conference in May, where I will finally get to see the materials and talk to a rep in person, I cannot wait. :)

My question: Are there other materials that work really well with this year that I should look at, from other vendors? I will have a dd in 2nd, a ds in 5th and a ds in 8th. Since I'm going to be at conference and have a chance to shop the vendor hall, I want to make the most out of my time there. Plus, if you guys have recommendations, I can see these in person and decide whether or not to buy.

So, does anyone who has used ECC have any recommendations of books/materials/anything that work really well with this that I should get?

We are doing ECC this year, and I'll tell you, I couldn't add any more too it. It's pretty thorough. You'll have quite a bit to do. If you wanted to look at other things, I would suggest looking at stuff you could keep in your book basket. Maybe animal books? Activities having do with maps? Geography? Something that has information of ecosystems, artists and or music from different countries? Geography games?

We are doing ECC this year, and I'll tell you, I couldn't add any more too it. It's pretty thorough. You'll have quite a bit to do. If you wanted to look at other things, I would suggest looking at stuff you could keep in your book basket. Maybe animal books? Activities having do with maps? Geography? Something that has information of ecosystems, artists and or music from different countries? Geography games?

Thank you, this is what i'm looking for. Do you have any specific books that were good along this line? I'm wondering particularly for my oldest, in case he needs more, or my youngest, for parts that may be over her head so she has something to work on. I believe we do have the book they recommend for youngers already, if not, i'll be getting it.

I have heard the Sonlight book lists go well with MFW. Should I look there? I'd like to stock up while i'm at conference. :)

The lesson plans for ECC will have a list of recommended books for each week.

Yes, if you have the time, my recommendation is to go to the MFW booth first and ask the rep the same questions you're asking here. Take a look at Book Basket in the back of the TM. Marie has asterisked some titles that she recommends for purchase if the library isn't a good option for you, so maybe those would be some titles that you could purchase while at convention. I'd start there, and then just browse the convention hall for more if you still feel like you need more.

Check out the bookseller booths (Master Books, Books Bloom, Grace & Truth, to name a few) to find DVDs about missionaries for your older kids. "End of the Spear", for example, was a powerful one to have a lot of impact on your 8th grader, but will be too graphic for the 2nd grader. (Not sure about the 5th grader, depends on maturity level and mom and dad's judgment.)

For your younger one, there's a set of books that Grace & Truth sells about missionary adventures that are a great go-along with ECC. In fact, depending on your budget, you may want to look for "younger kid" missionary biographies for the 2nd grader, as some material in the ones that MFW schedules may be too sensitive for him. I know that YWAM has some in that category... you wouldn't need all of them, of course, but maybe pick and choose. Here's a link to those: http://www.ywampublishing.com/p-1265-heroes-for-young-readers-seriesbr25-books-20-heroes-for-young-readers5-heroes-of-history.aspx

And here's a link the missionary adventure series:

http://www.graceandtruthbooks.com/product/the-missionary-adventure-series-entire-12-book-series

We did ECC this year.

I'm not sure the ages of your children but we used the Heroes for Young Readers rather than the Then and Now Heroes and used the books for independent reading rather than a read aloud.

And for pure fun, we added GeoPuzzles

Another book we used all through the year so I would recommend buying, again if you have younger children, is Children Just Like Me

Thank you! I just want to make the most out of this opportunity to see all the books while I have it, rather than just on the net. We have a good library system, but there are always those books that are used a lot and nice to have on hand.

My kids will be in 2nd, 5th and 8th this fall. It will be our first year with MFW. :)

Children Just Like Me

Children Just Like Me: Celebrations!

Kids Multicultural Cookbook (not necessary since A Trip Around the World and Another Trip Around the World include recipes, but my kids like to try out foods from other cultures, so I am getting this).

Those are the "extra" books that I plan on getting.

Also, I have collected most of the Highlight's Top Secret Adventures (fun things for different countries). Not necessary, but something my DS would LOVE (will still be over DD's head when we do them).