Menu

Bread Machine Suggestions

Another vote for the Zo here, tho I have the older upright pan version (lucked out at Goodwill!). I had the breadmaker Walmart sells, but once my family tasted the bread in the Zo, they all--dh included--said to dump the other one. I make bread most days, too, with mostly fresh ground wheat.

Another vote for the Zo here, tho I have the older upright pan version (lucked out at Goodwill!). I had the breadmaker Walmart sells, but once my family tasted the bread in the Zo, they all--dh included--said to dump the other one. I make bread most days, too, with mostly fresh ground wheat.

Wow. That's awesome that you grind your own wheat. Do you have a separate wheat grinder. I know MIL has an attachement for her kitchenaid but I'm not sure if she likes it and uses it.

what model of the Zojirushi bread machine do you recomend? where is the best place to purchase?

The bigger, 2lb model is more practical for a family.

Do any of you grind or make your own wheat flour?
Yes. Bob's Red Mill grain in a Nutrimill grinder.

Can you make the darker breads in the machine like squaw or pupernickle?
Yes, though I don't do it often. The res of my family has a thing against dark, dense breads.

The book I always recommend for beginners is The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook by Beth Hensperger. There's not much in the way of 100% whole grain recipes in there, but you can work up to them over time by substituting (I've had very gook luck with white whole wheat flour and extra vital wheat gluten).

Thanks so much for the info. I have been thinking of doing this for awhile. My youngest has allergies to certain food items. The bread that she can eat just took a price jump again! I have some leftover holiday funds ---I think I am going to just jump in an get the bread machine. Beside something must be telling me too. I came here today and here was this thread---just saying do it!!!

I would love to get into making my own flour and such. I think that I need to start small with just making the bread.

lynda