Menu

ElizabethB----We All Can Read?

mo2

You have struggled through enough phonics programs that I think you could teach almost anything without the instruction manual!

That being said, take a look at the sample pages. They pretty much show how the whole book works, just adding new sounds and things each lesson. The book is sparse on teacher hints, but fine if you have taught phonics before.

Don is working on a version for Lulu, but it is not finished yet. He is in final error checking and hopes to have it out this summer sometime.

You can buy some of the later original Spellers for reasonable prices, I got one of the 1908 version for under $20, look on ABE books or Alibris, look under "American Spelling Book" for title.

You have struggled through enough phonics programs that I think you could teach almost anything without the instruction manual!

Thanks, but one could also argue that since I've been through so many phonics programs, I must not be able to teach any of them adequately! :glare: (Although my 4yo is catching on to his letter sounds extremely well. Let's hope that reading doesn't turn out to be the struggle for him that it is for my older daughter.)

Thanks, but one could also argue that since I've been through so many phonics programs, I must not be able to teach any of them adequately! :glare: (Although my 4yo is catching on to his letter sounds extremely well. Let's hope that reading doesn't turn out to be the struggle for him that it is for my older daughter.)

:grouphug:

Yes, hopefully, your son will be on the less repetion plan!! My son requires more repetition than my daughter, but less than my remedial students. However, he requires almost no repetition in math, and my daughter requires a fair amount for certain difficult concepts.

Andrea, I have not used the original, only Don Potter's version, so I can't compare, but I find the Don Potter version to be excellent. I have "low vision" (partial blindness) so using anything with super tiny text is out. I find Don's book is just fine for me. I think the other difference is that multiple syllable words are spaced out instead of hyphenated, and I think that's a good change.

We have not gotten to the word lists yet, we are still memorizing the syllabary, as we came to the Speller after having done 100EZ lessons and some Explode the Code.

We are starting explode the code 3, and when we finish 4, we will go on to the multisyllable word lists. I really like the Speller+ETC combo, and am working on writing out a correspondance between the two.