Menu

Ugh!! Need American History for logic stage!!!

I was all set to teach Ancient History at our co-op next year. I had finally settled on Diana Waring's program. Good thing I haven't purchased it yet. The director tells me yesterday that the majority of the parents want American Modern history. About the Civil War - present. Any ideas? Please throw them all at me!!!

A bit more information may be of help. Do you need religious or secular? approximate age range? There is a difference sometimes based on content and age. Logic stage will typically include 5th to 8th grade. There is a 4-year span to consider along with a wide difference in academic development.

Do you have any of the Hakim books? This is certainly an option. Do you want more of a textbook approach?

To answer the questions: the class will be for 6th-8th grade. The co-op is a Christian co-op but not all of the materials used are Christian. I am just not sure what kind of source I want. Here is what I am wanting to do. Break the year up into 4 quarters. Cover certain main events and people in each quarter. Each child would pick 1 biography and historical fiction to read for each quarter based on what and who we are studying. They would also have an end of the quarter project to turn in. Can be of their choosing. We meet once a week for 1 hour. I want to give them plenty of information but also add in hands on things. So many of the kids I have talked to all say the same thing. They hate history because it is so boring. So I hope this helps you ladies think of some great game plans for me!

Jenn at Guest Hollow has a wonderful middle school program for free for you to investigate. She schedules Hakim, and a ton of other stuff. YOu could just pick thru and see. There's fiction, websites, etc. You could streamline each week and make it simple. She also mentions another spine source she likes better in a post here on WTM--I'll see if I can find it. BRB--lol

http://www.lamppostpublishing.com/all-american-history-curriculum.htm

Volume 2 Civil War to the 21st Century

This is a really nice curriculum, and what we're using for co-op. It's meant to be used by a co-op and I believe the author has a Dr in History. She wrote it for the co-op she participated in... and it's quite doable... The parents can make it go up or down, and .... the company will give you a discount at a certain amount of books ordered...

:)

(PS, if you end up using it, I'd love to know!! I'd love a spot where teachers/directors can share what and how curriculums are working in their groups! :))

http://www.lamppostpublishing.com/all-american-history-curriculum.htm

Volume 2 Civil War to the 21st Century

This is a really nice curriculum, and what we're using for co-op. It's meant to be used by a co-op and I believe the author has a Dr in History. She wrote it for the co-op she participated in... and it's quite doable... The parents can make it go up or down, and .... the company will give you a discount at a certain amount of books ordered...

:)

(PS, if you end up using it, I'd love to know!! I'd love a spot where teachers/directors can share what and how curriculums are working in their groups! :))

Yep, so far this is at the top of my list!! good to know about the discount that is the only thing holding me back. I'm not sure each parent could afford them.

There is All American History by Celeste Rakes. It is here at Amazon. I have not used it but have heard good things about it. What I am going to do is use the Landmark biographies and the American Heritage Junior Library books coupled with primary source document analysis and lots of writing... I am not sure that would be feasible in a coop setting, though.

ETA: Here is the website with all of the materials offered and, I believe, samples you can print. Typically, the prices are cheapest at either Amazon or Rainbow Resource.

Edited by Gratia271

MOH won't work because it needs to be only American History. I will look into the Drama series. Would you say these are written from a liberal or conservative pow?

DOH!! I knew that about MOH. I haven't read most of the Drama books as I'm still collecting them (I have a while... my ds is 5yo. ;)) From the folks that are fans of it here on WTM boards, I'd say it's liberal. There have been ALOT of discussions so there's plenty of info to read.

To answer the questions: the class will be for 6th-8th grade. The co-op is a Christian co-op but not all of the materials used are Christian. I am just not sure what kind of source I want. Here is what I am wanting to do. Break the year up into 4 quarters. Cover certain main events and people in each quarter. Each child would pick 1 biography and historical fiction to read for each quarter based on what and who we are studying. They would also have an end of the quarter project to turn in. Can be of their choosing. We meet once a week for 1 hour. I want to give them plenty of information but also add in hands on things. So many of the kids I have talked to all say the same thing. They hate history because it is so boring. So I hope this helps you ladies think of some great game plans for me!

How about the VP 1812-present cards as a framework. It gives focus on 32 people/events (one for each card) that then allows you to spread out from there as to what you want to read, hands-on etc.

How about the VP 1812-present cards as a framework. It gives focus on 32 people/events (one for each card) that then allows you to spread out from there as to what you want to read, hands-on etc.

What all would I need with this program? I have a hard time figuring this one out.