Menu

Spreading out Winterpromise's HIH?

Tatt2mama

I know there aren't many who have used this program yet, so I guess this is kind of a hypothetical "do you think this might work?" question.

I really love the looks of HIH, BUT I don't really want to attempt to jump through all four SOTW's in one year (I'd like to stick to the four year rotation, starting with ds in K/1 in the fall/winter sometime). AND I'm not interested in the Bible, science or basic skills stuff that comes with it.

So my thinking was to follow SOTW in the four year rotation, and add in the HIH resources (as well as the cultural readers) as they fit, over the four years-kind of throw out their schedule.

It makes sense to me that this would work-what do you all think?

I think that you might find that after the first year or two that the kids are bored with the program. This is designed to be a first dip in history for K and 1 students. I think in 3rd and 4th they might find it a bit too childish (the rest of the program not SOTW). I can't imagine you read all of the volumes of SOTW in their entirety in one or two years.

But-my kids are history nuts and always want more of this subject. They would love to make castles to crawl into though.

I'm considering it over 2 years. I think 4 would be too much but 2 is just about right. I do agree that doing it in one year at the recommended age (k-1) would be overwhelming both to the student and to a mom because of the projects. If I had only the one kid that might be ok but I have 2 older ones so stopping each week to find a huge box and make a castle might be too much. Once every other week - that I can do.

Heather

I think you could stretch it for four years if you get the SOTW AG to do map and timeline work and have the resource list just in case. This is my plan. Have you seen the Winterpromise boards? http://www.winterpromise-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35

There is a thread about this there.

I know DD will still love to do the projects at 9 years old, I definitely do not think they are too childish. Here is an example of one: http://www.winterpromise.com/pdfs/Sample_Hideaways_On-the-Spot_History_Fun.pdf

Keep in touch if you decide to do it!

I have HIH and plan to use it combined with an old SL 2 (sort of like 1+2) and some read alouds, coloring sheets and maps from the SOTW AG over 72 weeks. I wouldn't buy it unless you'd like to do an abbreviated history overview with young kids. It's geared to about K-2 and I think kids any older would find it babyish. It's ideal for kids (and moms) who would be overwhelmed by doing a regular grammar history cycle with SOTW. HIH adds in fun ideas to make history come alive to little kids without totally overwhelming the parent (except for the 36 hideaways which are just way.too.much.) The student pages and activity book are very good and offer activities that are a bit easier than SOTW. HIH doesn't schedule all of SOTW so it's really just an overview, not a complete history cycle.