Menu

Lindamood Learning Center

I see a lot about Lindamood here on the boards but has anyone ever been to their learning centers and had a child in their program actually being taught by the Lindamood people?

I just returned from a seminar from a Lindamood rep and I am seriously considering this for 11 year old boy. It is very expensive though. I want to to be worth the money. It all sounds great, but I would like someone who has actually done this to give me their opinion.

Ds13 is dyslexic and we used Lindamood Bell for his initially remediation. We used their See Stars program. Initially, he attended their center for 3 or 4 hours 5 days per week for 8 or 10 weeks. Unfortunately I just don't recall all the specifics. After the initial program we opted to continue on with the center for after school tutoring (he was in public school 2nd grade). He then attended on Tuesdays and Thursdays after school for 2 hours.

It was very expensive and very demanding. They are hyper-focused and the tutors are well trained.

I think their initially assessment services are very good. They waste little time and are again super focused on determining an appropriate treatment plan.

They really are the top-shelf best quality dyslexia tutoring services you can buy. But their price is prohibitive for most folks. All in all, over the course of 6 to 8 months we spent in the neighborhood of $20,000. Did it work? For the most part -yes. Ds had significant growth in his reading ability. But, but, but he wasn't as fluent or at grade level when we left. I hired a private tutor trained in the Lindamood Bell program after for significantly less money.

So my advice would be to use the Lindamood center for your initially testing, using them for a short period of time, and/or find a private tutor that is trained in Lindamood Bell programs and hire them privately.

FYI, DS began to read at grade level somewhere around 6th grade. Now, as an 8th grader, he reads above grade level. He recently took a standarized test and did very well on the reading, vocab, comprehension section.

There was a poster from about a year ago who did. Here's an old thread, http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173937&highlight=lindamood-bell If you click on her blog, she tells about her experience there in detail.

I use a lot of their materials, but I have never taken my child to one of their centers. I thought about it, but it's not close to me in addition to being very expensive.

• 4 months later...

It was too expensive for me, but a good friend of mine used Seeing Stars with her son in first grade, taking him out of ps for a few hours a day. My friend, who is a trained special ed teacher, said it turned her son around. Sorry, I can't give you specifics about grade level reading and so on.

I have been using Visualizing and Verbalizing and find that it suits us very well. For example, I tried WWE (using the first year program when my my dec were several years older). My dc simply couldn't answer the questions, even when I broke things down and did the readings a paragraph at a time.

Visualizing and Verbalizing (the only LMB program I've used) is very detailed and focused and easy to implement. I use the workbooks, not the other materials.

The TM is expensive, but I was able get a previous edition from Abebooks at a reasonable cost. The LMB people said that there were no significant differences between the two editions in terms of content -- the newer edition is more scripted, if I remember correctly.

If I had had the $$, I would have enrolled dc at a LMB learning center.

We were considering it. But we went to a reading tutor who used the Lindamood method. What she always said was that it is important to be very consistent and to follow through with the teaching in the same way every time. We had good results from her. I don't know what it would have been like to have sent DD to the actual Lindamood center, but it would have been more expensive.