Menu

Laptop cooling pad thingie -- advice

I have a laptop that will shut down occasionally (and the fan is usually running high when that happens). I'm concerned because I have my first freelance transcribing assignment today with a company (I'm going to be transcribing a university class in real time -- if my computer shuts down in the middle of service, the student will stop getting the "feed" from the lecture until I'm set back up, which probably wouldn't go over real well with the owner of the company I'm starting work for).

Are the laptop cooling pads effective with this? Any specific things to look for in one? (My husband is willing to run to town to get one.) Thank you!

I have a laptop that will shut down occasionally (and the fan is usually running high when that happens). I'm concerned because I have my first freelance transcribing assignment today with a company (I'm going to be transcribing a university class in real time -- if my computer shuts down in the middle of service, the student will stop getting the "feed" from the lecture until I'm set back up, which probably wouldn't go over real well with the owner of the company I'm starting work for).

Are the laptop cooling pads effective with this? Any specific things to look for in one? (My husband is willing to run to town to get one.) Thank you!

It's funny you posted this. DH just got one for me because the new SIMS Medieval game he got for me was making my laptop run too hot and crashing it. It always ran hot, but never to the point of crashing. He bought the pad Saturday, I think, and it works surprisingly well. You can't even hear it running, and it keeps the laptop nice & cool. Even when I'm playing a game it's just warm -- not burning hot. I wish we had gotten one sooner.

I had a laptop that did that as well. The cooling pad helped a bit, but it also had to regularly have the dust cleaned out.

So, I'd recommend a laptop cooling pad, but before the class, if you can, open it up and clean it out.

Yes, the pads help. Also, you can use a vacuum hose to clean the fan vent, it could be bogged down due to dust.

If your computer is shutting down because it's overheating, that is not normal and you really ought to take it to some place like "Mr. Notebook" to have the fan cleaned (you can also DIY, there are how-tos on the internet).

I recently got a new laptop and we bought a Lap Desk (brand name) to go with it. It hooks up to the computer with a USB cord and has a fan that keeps the laptop cool. Plus, it has beanbag-type cushions underneath, so it is nice and comfy if the laptop is on your lap. And I really do think it helps a lot.