Menu

Biblioplan vs. EasyClassical.com (History)

Has anyone taken a good look at both these programs? From what I've seen, they're very similiar. Both have a weekly schedule (which I like) that seems to use SOTW as it's spine (which I really like.) Both also seem to lay out Blble lessons along with literature selections to accompany the time period you're studying. I'm specifically looking at the Middle Ages lesson plans.

Any feedback on either program? I'm always hesitant to buy something when I can only see one "sample" lesson online. We really like SOTW so it would be nice to have the "extras" laid out in one resource.

We're using Biblioplan Middle Ages/Ren/Reformation this year and it has not gone over well with my kids. They are 2nd and 1st and although I think Biblioplan is a good program, my kids needed more picture books and they did not like the encyclopedia, cultural atlas, famous people_____ type reading. They groaned every time I asked them to come sit and they saw me holding one of the books. They also needed more activities/crafts. Biblioplan is simply a reading list/schedule. I've ended up just focusing on the SOTW 2 chapters with some of the K-2 books and using the book lists in SOTW to increase the books written at their grade level. For my family, Biblioplan would be better suited when the kids are 5th grade and up. I know many people love Biblioplan, but I can only say what our experience has been.

I just looked at Easy Classical and it looks wonderful. I like that it has activities/movie suggestions, music, reviews built-in. For me, I would have to see if the books and reading suggestions were suited to my kids age and preferences. Just glancing at the Easy Classical books, I'd probably wait and use this when we cover Middle Ages the second time around, although I'm not sure. SOTW alone I think does a sufficient job of covering the time period and if you're like me and don't do projects on my own very well, you could buy the treasure chests or Hearts and Hands kits to go along with SOTW. I did have a HAH kit and the castle building book that the kids enjoyed using. Next year, we're going to use Winter Promise American Story I primarily because it has books for 1st-3rd level, read a-louds, activities/crafts, and a great teacher guide.

Of course what works or doesn't is different for every family. If I were to pick between Biblioplan 2 and Easy Classical, I would pick Easy Classical since it seems to teach to different learning styles/preferences so you have a better chance of all the kids liking it and learning from it. It really does look awesome in my opinion! I wish I'd seen it last year, LOL!! HTHs. Blessings!

Has anyone taken a good look at both these programs? From what I've seen, they're very similiar. Both have a weekly schedule (which I like) that seems to use SOTW as it's spine (which I really like.) Both also seem to lay out Blble lessons along with literature selections to accompany the time period you're studying. I'm specifically looking at the Middle Ages lesson plans.

Any feedback on either program? I'm always hesitant to buy something when I can only see one "sample" lesson online. We really like SOTW so it would be nice to have the "extras" laid out in one resource.

I can tell you a little about Biblioplan, since I've actually seen the schedule. :) Like what was already said, Biblioplan is a book list that is divided into a 36 week schedule and spans each stage of the trivium, so if you have a grammar and logic stage student, there is an age appropriate schedule for both. There are a few other assignment incorporated into this history reading such as logic or writing, but it is not thorough. There are no discussion/comprehension questions and no projects assigned. There is a highschool supplement package which I have not looked at, so there could be different things in that. Also, Biblioplan just came out with a set of maps to complement their readings, but only have the first two years available. Otherwise the schedule may say something like: "Fill out a map with the countries learned this week."

I actually bought the third year last year and was pretty overwhelmed with all the readings. My library carried half of the books, the rest I would have had to buy. And, I knew my dd, who was going to use it, wasn't going to be able to keep up with the reading schedule as she was a reluctant reader at the time. Also, I felt like the spine reading jumped around quite a lot from book to book, not really utilizing one whole book. For example, SOTW is scheduled, but you will not be reading through the whole book cover to cover.

Also, Bible reading is not incorporated in all years, only the first year when studying the ancients. The second year incorporates church history and the third year has many missionary biographies scheduled. I'm not sure about the fourth year as that is the only one I haven't actually seen with my own eyes.

I know there are many who like this program and like the variety. For some, the scheduling of all stages of the trivium is a big help. And, for others, it gives a little solidity other than just using SOTW and making a personal program from scratch. The book selections are quality, but so are the ones in the SOTW activity guide and in TWTM itself. It could easily be made into a full program with adding projects/writing assignments for older kids. But, I am a simpleton, and wanted something with a little more flexibility (which you could pick and choose from their reading list, you don't have to do all the choices) so I ended up just sticking with SOTW, the SOTW AG and then had my daughter pick from a handful of books, that were recommended in the AG, what she wanted to read. Once she was done with a book, she then proceeded to pick out another one to complement what we were studying in history. This worked much better for us. HTH!

Well, we use and love Biblioplan here. We learn well from reading here and have not done much in the way of extra projects and crafts. We have done the first two years of Biblioplan in 1st and 2nd grade with a preK tag along. We use the K-2 readers, some of the 3+ readers now, and many/most of the family read-alouds. We also use SOTW (all chapters covered but in a different order) and we use the AG for coloring pages, mapwork, and additional books that we get from the library. It has worked well for us and history is our favorite subject.

All I know about EasyClassical is the quick look I just took at their website. It appears that their history is based on Vertias Press, so if you like that program you might like what EasyClassical has to offer. Note that that means it doesn't follow a 4-year cycle. VP is a 5 year cycle and Easy Classical uses a state history study before that, so 6 years before you cycle through again (from what I can understand from the website). I like the 4-year cycle. Since here we begin Ancients in first grade and spend only 1 year on them rather than the 2 that VP does, I find their book choices too old/advanced for the ages when we need them. Easy Classical's Medieval, Renaissance, and Reformation would be for 4th grade where we just did it in 2nd grade--it does change what books you would use. Anyway, those are a few differences I caught looking at the 2 programs. And if Easy Classical is just based on VP, I'm not sure what they add that is worth $35. Why not just use VP?

• 1 year later...

We're using Biblioplan Middle Ages/Renaissance/Reformation this year, and it has been wonderful for our family. What I know of EasyClassical is from their website:

Here are some of the differences I see:

Biblioplan - schedules several different spines, and you pick which one (or two) you want to use.

Is scheduled for 3 days a week.

Has readers at several different levels.

Has some additional recommended readers/read-alouds.

Is good for K-8 (and high schoolers can use it with the high school supplement)

They offer their own map packet and timeline, and two writing suggestions each week, but no other activities (I incorporate the SOTW AG for my younger ones to give them those activities)

No Bible except in ancient history. Church history and missionary biographies used in succeeding years.

EasyClassical - looks like it schedules VP and its materials, along with SOTW. Not as flexible if you want to switch things out.

5-day schedule

No readers.

Different approach to geography.

Plenty of specific ideas for writing and notebooking.

Specific activity kits recommended (like the Treasure Chest series), plus activities in EasyClassical lesson plans and VP materials scheduled.

Website links.

I think if you like VP, plus having verything laid out, with lots of activities (some of them pretty involved), websites, and shopping lists, you'd enjoy EasyClassical.

If you like a little more flexibility and need to cover a broader age range, BP is the way to go. I wouldn't consider using EasyClassical with my crew. It's their 4th grade history program, and I don't think it would fit any of my kids except perhaps my 6th grader. The read-alouds are definitely for upper-elementary, if not junior high, IMO. Some of the history books are what BP reserves for logic stage students as well.

I like the flexibility BP offers me, with a 3-day schedule, the ability to pick and choose. I especially like the different levels of readers. They add a richness to it. The K-2 readers, especially, make BP so good for younger elementary students. They are beautiful picture books, and the illustrations in those short stories grab the attention of my younger children and help the learning come alive for them. Activity wise, I'm one who prefers sticking with simpler things. The BP map packet and timeline are perfect for my oldest, and I really enjoy using the SOTW AG alongside BP for my younger ones. The SOTW AG is another resource that allows me to pick and choose activities for my younger ones.

Hope this helps a little.

Blessings,

Laura