Menu

Mom needs to learn grammar....

Stratford

Other than learning along with your kids, has anyone here in the hive relearned grammar basics prior to teaching the kiddos? Either my education was lacking in the grammar department, or I've forgotten most of it....either way, I feel like I need to brush up if I'm going to be able to teach my kids. I'm great at Madlibs but have never diagrammed a sentence.

Any advice? I feel like I need my own curriculum!

I've been thinking about this too. I do vaguely remember having to diagram sentences back in high school but I couldn't tell you a thing about how to do it now. Sorry, I don't have any advice for you. I'm curious to see the responses too. :lurk5:

I'm fairly embarrassed at how much I am leaning from Grammar Island. I wonder if I was never taught this stuff, or if it just seeped out of my brain over the years. :glare:

I feel the same way, and I have a sneaking suspicion that most adults would say something similar. I do know that we did not diagram sentences when I was in school. We had very little in the way of grammar instruction, come to think of it. Here I am getting excited about language arts curriculum choices for DS....and then realizing I don't know/remember a lot of what we're going to cover.

I started a thread a while ago on this topic. The majority seemed to be for AG or learning it with kids. I have decided to stick with learning alongside the kids for now but if I ever have some extra $$ burning a hole in my pocket, I will probably purchase AG and give it a try.

I started a thread a while ago on this topic. The majority seemed to be for AG or learning it with kids. I have decided to stick with learning alongside the kids for now but if I ever have some extra $$ burning a hole in my pocket, I will probably purchase AG and give it a try.

Thank you! This is perfect!

I am currently brushing up with Barron's E-Z English and My Grammar and I....Or Should That Be Me? They have both been very helpful. I wanted at least one book with practice sections to make sure I was retaining what I was reading.

One of my favorite parts of homeschooling is MY renewed interest and love for learning. Looking back, I think public school beat the joy of learning out of me. I am thankful for this renewal in my own life!

Edited by BettyL

... Either my education was lacking in the grammar department, or I've forgotten most of it....

...have never diagrammed a sentence.

:iagree: I had a good grammar education for several years in school, but I can't remember the formal definitions at all. I could not recall what "predicate nominative" or "subject complement" meant! (I know them now, though.)

The first time I heard about diagramming was on this board but only got interested in it this month.

...One of my favorite parts of homeschooling is MY renewed interest and love for learning...

:iagree: I started reading in detail about diagramming this month and I think I like it. It is visual and intuitive and appeals to the programmer in me. Of all the resources I have read so far, I found this tutorial most useful. It may not be comprehensive, but I liked that it is incremental and easy to understand.