Menu

My 7yo came home from school yesterday...

and told me something that broke my heart.

She said she found a note in her math folder that said "Gwen I hate you" and it was signed by a girl she sometimes plays with. The girl denied writing it. My dd talked about the feelings she had when she found it, wondered why people would be so mean. I asked her where the note was and she said the teacher had it and knew what happened.

It seems that several times a week my kids are telling me stories like this. I cannot imagine being told "I don't care" "No one cares" "Shut up" "go away" on a near daily basis. I get that kids are immature, and sometimes they feel powerless and act out in a way to feel powerful.

However, I cannot wait to bring my kids home again. My dd is only 7 and in first grade, and it is appalling how nasty the girls are to each other. :001_huh:

And the mean girls get meaner as they get older.

Our kids have always been at home, and our girls had one brief encounter with a "mean" girl when they were probably around 5 and 6. They also witnessed what happened to that mean girl when I informed her mother of her behavior.

I'm glad we haven't had to put up with much of that, I'd be in jail.

It seems that several times a week my kids are telling me stories like this. I cannot imagine being told "I don't care" "No one cares" "Shut up" "go away" on a near daily basis. I get that kids are immature, and sometimes they feel powerless and act out in a way to feel powerful.

However, I cannot wait to bring my kids home again. My dd is only 7 and in first grade, and it is appalling how nasty the girls are to each other. :001_huh:

This is why the "socialization" argument about homeschooling is a joke. Kids do not learn proper socialization from other immature, unsocialized kids tossed together in packs/herds in an artificial environment. They learn socialization from real-life interactions in the real world.

Homeschooled kids can be mean, too, but there is more likely to be a multi-aged group or a parent on hand to intervene, ime.

When my homeschool group has problems like this, it's usually because the kids have been left to their own devices too much and not supervised enough. (And I'm not pinning blame ... I am guilty myself of using homeschool group time to socialize and not supervise my kids closely.)

Tara

This is why the "socialization" argument about homeschooling is a joke. Kids do not learn proper socialization from other immature, unsocialized kids tossed together in packs/herds in an artificial environment. They learn socialization from real-life interactions in the real world.

Homeschooled kids can be mean, too, but there is more likely to be a multi-aged group or a parent on hand to intervene, ime.

When my homeschool group has problems like this, it's usually because the kids have been left to their own devices too much and not supervised enough. (And I'm not pinning blame ... I am guilty myself of using homeschool group time to socialize and not supervise my kids closely.)

Tara

I agree. When we hs'd issues would pop up sometimes, but kids were dealt with and oftentimes parents modeled proper behaviour and interaction. It wasn't left to be a free for all. Sometimes older kids would intervene too.

I'm glad we gave school a shot because now when I gaze wistfully at the school bus, I will remember all the junk that went along with it.