Menu

Writing Program with Growing With Grammar?

sixtimemomma

We use WWE, but I will caution you that i am tossing Growing with Grammar. My son does not have a strong Grammar background and this is NOT helping him catch up. He reads it, remembers it just long enough to do the worksheets, then forgets it. He doesn't understand it really.

Sooo I broke down and ordered First Language Lessons, as I have never been disappointed by SWB :)

Plus, my son is happy because the workbook has the diagrams already drawn, he just has to fill them in, lol.

Okay, I was considering switching to GWG......does anyone think their child is getting a good grammar background from this curriculum?

I have used Rod & Staff with my others and while I do believe they have gotten a great foundation the work is just plain BORING! This makes things a little tougher to teach to children that don't have a love for grammar.

Any suggestions?

We love GWG, but then again we have been with it from the beginning. My little has learned lots from it. It's one of her favorite things. We have done some of MCT. We also add grammar into other school subjects and talk about it there. So, I'm not really sure were all of her grammar knowledge has come from, but we like the lay out of GWG and will stick with it. We just added Soaring with Spelling (from the same people who wrote GWG). We're not a full week into that yet. I did finally look at Rod and Staff at the convention and would say that if I were to switch (not planning to), that it would be to R&S. Clear as mud?

We started using GWG last fall and I have to say both my daughter and I love it. I chose it because we were getting bored with FLL. I think we both just learn better seeing things visually and writing them down. GWG is efficient and easy to do. It's the one subject we do almost every day of the week. The first two levels we went through quickly, as it is easy, but now we're in level 3 and slowing down to one lesson a day.

My daughter has been taking the things she learns in GWG and applying them in her independent writing. I was just going to blog about that today in fact. So it's been working great for us!

We have just started up with FLL2 to benefit from the grammar definition memorizations. But our preferred program is GWG, as it just fits our learning style better.

Oops, I forgot to mention what writing program we're using. We started off with WWE1 but it wasn't a good fit. I started using Write Source since it is taking advantage of my daughter's eagerness to write. It teaches the 6 writing traits and the most common ways to write for a first grader (narrative, descriptive, reports, etc...). We love it but I do have to admit we don't use it every week as my daughter just writes on her own every spare minute. We also just started using Evan Moor Daily 6-Trait Writing which just takes a few minutes a day.

The past week I've been reading a few books to help me take advantage of her writing passion. I'm reading Writer's Jungle by BraveWriter and 6 + 1 Traits of Writing: The Complete Guide (Grades 3 and Up) by Ruth Culham. I'm learning so much from both! The latter one is pretty public-schooly but it's chock-full of ideas and pretty much exactly what I wanted.

After I read up on writing with these quality books, I hope to dig in and help my daughter improve her writing.

I also just ordered the MCT materials, they should be here next week. Write Source Student Text grade 2 will also arrive, I intend to keep with their system, they make great reference materials even if we don't end up using their program.

Edited by Satori

Oops, I forgot to mention what writing program we're using. We started off with WWE1 but it wasn't a good fit. I started using Write Source since it is taking advantage of my daughter's eagerness to write. It teaches the 6 writing traits and the most common ways to write for a first grader (narrative, descriptive, reports, etc...). We love it but I do have to admit we don't use it every week as my daughter just writes on her own every spare minute. We also just started using Evan Moor Daily 6-Trait Writing which just takes a few minutes a day.

I'm going to check into Write Source.

thanks

Just fyi, I'm currently waiting on Write Source K and Grade 1, both are backordered at Rainbow Resource. It's been about 3 weeks now since I ordered. I'm getting a bit impatient!!!

The same happened to me. I received one part of my order but I'm still waiting for the grade 1 materials.

I have mixed feelings about GWG. When I started homeschooling, I used this for my then 3rd grade son. And I thought it was going well, until we started MCT's Grammar Town this year. His retention was very low. But now for my rising 8th grade ds this fall, I'm considering using it again because it will give some quick reviews for next year (he wants to go to highschool), without being overly time consuming. I was also looking at Easy Grammar, so I may go with that. For my now rising 3rd grader, I'll be using a combination of: Climbing to Good English, Sentence Family, Reading Detective and WWE2. And for my rising 8th grader, he'll be using Writing for 100 Days for his writing course.

Lots of choices out there, and it's hard to decide what will work.:confused:

We have used GWG around 3rd grade and then we took a break from grammar and now we are doing part of the 6th grade book (just to review a few topics before we get into the 7th grade book) and will be doing the 7th grade book in the fall. I use it as more of a reference book and just go over topics with my dd. I don't have her do the worksheets. We also use their Soaring with Spelling and Vocabulary program and love that. At this time, I am not sure how much grammar my dd is retaining. For the most part she seems to remember what she learns, but I have never formally tested her. My plan is to use the 7th grade book as an overall review of all the grammar we have done through the years so that she can be prepared for high school.

Just an FYI, the GWG people are coming out with a new writing program. I think it comes out in either the summer or fall. You can email them about it to see when it will be available. I am not sure what grades it will be intended.

Anyway, currently we are using a mix of different writing programs:

-Wordsmith Apprentice

-Writing Skills 1 (from EPS)

-Igniting Your Writing

This year I just wanted to just do a fun year of writing and not take it too seriously. Next year, for 7th grade, we will be using something else for writing which I have not decided yet (maybe Writing With the Best or the GWG Writing program if it is at the appropriate grade level and I also will be looking at IEW).

Edited by txhomemom

Okay, I was considering switching to GWG......does anyone think their child is getting a good grammar background from this curriculum?

It's not in my signature, but my 9 yro and 8 yro both do GWG. We like it. Starting in 4th grade, I add MCT LA- but that's not just grammar, it's vocab, poetry, writing, etc.

GWG takes us maybe 10 minutes and it's another chance for them to write, too.

Just an FYI, the GWG people are coming out with a new writing program. I think it comes out in either the summer or fall. You can email them about it to see when it will be available. I am not sure what grades it will be intended.

No kidding! I might check into that. Thanks.