Menu

Looking for grammar suggestions beyond R&S 8.

more grammar beyond R&S 8? R&S is a very thorough curriculum. Would it be best, perhaps, to focus on writing and making any necessary corrections through writing?

If you want a resource, though, I could suggest maybe continuing on with R&S 9/10---perhaps there are some grammar exercises there. Also, Abeka has their Grammar & Composition series---you could use G&C III for 9th grade and G&C IV for 10th grade, but I would skip the writing exercises and just do the grammar. They also have Workbook A for 11th grade and Workbook B for 12th grade.

Also, how about The Elements of Style by Strunk & White (although maybe that's more of a resource for writing). Or, you could get the MLA Handbook, because it's a very handy resource for quick references to things like "does the comma go inside the quotation marks or outside the quotation marks" and stuff like that; also notations, citations, bibliographies, etc. It's kind of a grammar handbook.

These are just a few suggestions, off the top of my head.

My dd (went through R&S 8) has used Analytical Grammar's High School Reinforcement. They currently have two books available and plan on having four. This year she did American Authors, next year she will do British authors. Highly recommend it. You can see samples at their website.

Yvonne in NE

more grammar beyond R&S 8? R&S is a very thorough curriculum. Would it be best, perhaps, to focus on writing and making any necessary corrections through writing?

:iagree: Particularly if they have done well in grammar this year. Their foreign language studies will very likely improve their understanding of English grammar even more.

My dd (went through R&S 8) has used Analytical Grammar's High School Reinforcement. They currently have two books available and plan on having four. This year she did American Authors, next year she will do British authors. Highly recommend it. You can see samples at their website.

Yvonne in NE

This is what I would suggest as well.

There is a lot of grammar instruction in R&S 9/10 -- a ton! If you have liked R&S so far, you might consider sticking with it.

Stewart English, as Carmen mentioned, is another good one which we have enjoyed. If you're looking for a change of pace from R&S, I think it would be an excellent choice.

Best wishes,

Luann

mom of 12

I like Elements of Style Strunk & White, I also came across Writing Tool: 50 essential strategies for every writer by Clark, Roy Peter and it has actual writing projects that correspond. I have also referred to the Writing Strands book. If they really needed a daily practice I'd use Easy Grammar.

Ds finished R&S 8 this year (6th grade), so here's our tentative plan for the rest of his school life. ;) I tried to include a variety of grammar review, writing, vocabulary, and poetry.

7th grade

Vocab. from Classic Roots – A

Elements of Style (outline and reread each year)

The Roar on the Other Side (poetry)

8th grade

VfCR – B/C

The Lively Art of Writing

Eats, Shoots, and Leaves

9th grade

VfCR – D/E

How to Read a Book (w/ Classical Rhetoric by Martin Cothran)

The Art and Craft of Poetry - level 1

10th grade

How to Read Slowly (outline)

Style: Ten Lessons in Clarity and Grace

I.E.W: Advanced Communication (persuasive, note taking, college level papers)

11th grade

The Art and Craft of Poetry - level 2

I.E.W: High School Essay Intensive (2nd semester for SAT and College Application essay writing)

Our Mother Tongue (grammar)

12th grade

A Manual for Writers of Term Papers, Theses, and Dissertations

The Chicago Manual of Style

(I'm assuming that here he'll be writing plenty in his subjects and might need these for reference.)

We do grammar through 8th grade, and then in high school, we do one year of grammar review. My ds is a junior, and we are going through Warriner's English Composition & Grammar Complete Course this year. It is allowing us to catch the parts of grammar that were not retained. This has been a very good match for us--we are also using the composition portion of the book this year.

There are other programs out there--I just have not used them.

J

They're different, but they're both good. Warriner's is probably more complete than Stewart, but Stewart probably offers more exercises integrating grammar with writing.

A couple of caveats about Stewart: Many of the exercises in Stewart, since they involve composition, can't be graded from an answer key. The person doing the grading must have a firm grasp of grammar himself. Also, this doesn't apply in your case, but I would not use Stewart to introduce grammatical concepts to a student for the first time.

Finally, I should add that my recommendation for Warriner's is limited to editions published before around the mid-1980s, which can still be found easily, btw.