Menu

I'm making myself crazy!

andreainia

I had been all set in my mind to use Sonlight 1 for history/readers/read alouds next year with my 7 year old son, but then my husband and I got talking. We determined that our biggest priorities in a history curriculum are: missions focus, Bible/history integration, and living books. (Ideally, we'd like a Reformed viewpoint, too). I think Sonlight would meet our needs for living books and missions, but am not sure about the integration of Bible and history. So I started looking at MFW. Looking at Adventures, which is the level we'd need, doesn't exactly excite me, but I do like the look of it once they start into the history rotation. I do worry about availability of books for the book basket, as we live in rural Iowa, and our library selection is pretty limited. I also have checked out easyclassical, which uses VP and SOTW (but no mission focus).

So, help me out or confuse me some more - what do you think best fits our primary goals of mission focus, Bible/history integration, and living books? Sonlight, MFW, or something else?

Sonlight does have some chronologically ordered Bible readings for Core 1 I think (our core 1+2 does). We are keen on biblical integration too, we actually sound like we have similar goals :). Still, when I think about it, biblical integration is really only great for the first year of most history cycles, so you may not want to commit to an entire 4-yr program based only on yr 1 if that makes sense?

That being said, I'm looking into TOG for 4th here, better integration than SL, though not as many living books/missions readings (more of these in the later years I think because they are very strictly chronological). BUT we'd supplement with SL books to keep the great readers and read alouds. I love that they are reformed though - they have a great worldview building take on history through a biblical lens in the later years :). In the early years it is mostly just facts though, in keeping with the classical model.

That being said, we're with SL this year and next and are really enjoying it!

Sonlight does have some chronologically ordered Bible readings for Core 1 I think (our core 1+2 does). We are keen on biblical integration too, we actually sound like we have similar goals :). Still, when I think about it, biblical integration is really only great for the first year of most history cycles, so you may not want to commit to an entire 4-yr program based only on yr 1 if that makes sense?

That being said, I'm looking into TOG for 4th here, better integration than SL, though not as many living books/missions readings (more of these in the later years I think because they are very strictly chronological). BUT we'd supplement with SL books to keep the great readers and read alouds. I love that they are reformed though - they have a great worldview building take on history through a biblical lens in the later years :). In the early years it is mostly just facts though, in keeping with the classical model.

That being said, we're with SL this year and next and are really enjoying it!

A word on TOG and Bible/missions - Year 1 includes a lot of Bible as it pertains to the historical period. The following years include a lot of church history study, including missions - primarily for the upper elementary grades and up. Their emphasis on Biblical worldview, especially in the rhetoric stage, is phenomenal.

I don't have any experience with SL, so I can't compare.

Jennifer, what you said about Biblical integration only in year one DOES make sense. You run out of Bible history at a certain point in world history. I will have to take a look at TOG, probably more for logic/rhetoric stages. It's price tag scares me a bit, but I know the comments and helps for those levels are fantastic.

mom2samlibby - I have used HOD - LHTH and LHFHG. I like many of Carrie's choices, and I like the "heart" of the program, but the guides just aren't a good fit for us.

I've done Sonlight 1 (1-5 actually) with my olders and MFW with my youngers. MFW would be the better fit for your goals. IMHO of course!

We just wrapped up Adventures. Honestly I was a little hesitant and worried that it would get boring but it has been one of our best years. I've been hsing since 1994 so that's saying something! My son loved the year and the names of Jesus poster is precious. Perfect fit for 7/8yos. We are about to start ECC so we will be seeing a more mission focus.

I wouldn't stress too much about the book basket concept. If your library doesn't have a good selection you can purchase a few extra books if you want. I filled our book basket with readers ( Readers that I had on hand from our SL days) and a few of the starred selections. I did not make extra trips to the library and I do not feel like our year was missing anything. There is plenty of content in MFW without feeling the need to focus on getting the "correct" book in your book basket.

HTH

MFW is IT for missions! We are doing ECC this year and it is SO awesome! My kiddos groan when it's time to stop reading the YWAM books. They can't get enough!

We did Adv last year. I liked it better than I thought I would. The state sheets got kinda monotonous, but as long as you are doing everything 100% it's not so bad.

As far as the library situation, you don't have to do book basket, it's really optional. And Marie Hazel says, if your library doesn't have the specific books she recommends, then just use the books on each topic that your library does have.