Menu

Aspie mom's - need some advice on a new issue.

James (11) has developed a new issue. He doesn't want to see or hear anyone chewing gum. I chew gum after every meal and he's started harping on me, from his room, through a closed door, are you done yet? are you done yet? He'll leave the room if anyone is chewing gum. Yesterday at Borders he was bothered by a couple people chewing gum so we moved to where they weren't. The store clerk was even chewing gum, so he waited by the door for me. He's usually very gregarious and chats up everybody. This is more annoying that anything else. But how do you deal with it and get them to get over it, if that is possible. Or is it one of those phases that we just have to get through.

I found this article. I was looking for ideas to use with my ds 9.

http://www.myaspergerschild.com/2010/12/aspergers-and-noise-sensitivities.html

I notice with mine that the sensitivity is more the higher his stress level.

At home I adjust the environment or offer noise reduction head phones.

It looks like desensitivity training of the brain can be done using pink noise under the supervision of an ENT doctor and audiologist.

I'm sure there are others who deal with noise sensitivities too.:grouphug:

Since the world isn't going to stop chewing gum anytime soon, I would suggest that he come up with some programmed responses to the noise of gum chewing. For the noise it might be as simple is moving a few feet away to putting on ear phones. But since he can't stand to look at anyone chewing gum he will need some strategies to deal with the visual aspect of it. Leaving the room is possible at home, but he does not need to yell at you to ask if you are done. You might inform him that you will be chewing gum for say twenty minutes and you will set the timer to let him know when you are done. In a store he could look at the ground, or concentrate on a number sequence, say his multiplication tables in his head, anything that gives his mind something to focus on besides the visual of gum chewing. You could even give him an opportunity to practice this since you chew gum. You could have him practice staying in the room with you when you chew gum quietly for a set time and increase the time as you go along. You could then increase the noise factor, shorten the time, and then slowly extend it. Sort of home desensitization.:001_smile: