Menu

s/o of remembering adhd meds when at camp...

What if you are sending a kiddo away to summer camp? My ds does not remember to take his meds unless I tell him, too. When he goes away to camp he just doesn't remember. How do I get him to remember? Do I have to make sure an adult is administering it? It's so frustrating. I wonder if I could get something in a patch.

DD9 is going to camp this summer for a week. An adult at the camp will give her the meds (camp rules). For an older teen, I really liked the idea of taping the pill box to their toothpaste or deoderant so they can't miss seeing it. And doing a reminder on their phone/IPod if they have one....

ETA: DD17 uses the alarm on her phone to remind her to take her pills each day. Without her phone, I'm sure she would NEVER remember.

Edited by AK_Mom4

DD9 is going to camp this summer for a week. An adult at the camp will give her the meds (camp rules). For an older teen, I really liked the idea of taping the pill box to their toothpaste or deoderant so they can't miss seeing it. And doing a reminder on their phone/IPod if they have one....

ETA: DD17 uses the alarm on her phone to remind her to take her pills each day. Without her phone, I'm sure she would NEVER remember.

Would you be surprised if I told you my ds probably won't remember to put on deodorant or brush his teeth? Phones are not allowed. I'll have to talk to someone there. Last year I even told his older sister to remind him, but she didn't. He needs those meds.

LOL.. My daughter is going to camp for the first time this year (she's 13) and I told her, "When all the other girls go to brush their teeth, that's when you brush your teeth.. When all the other girls go shower.. That's when you shower.." I can just see her talking non-stop and forgetting to do anything hygeine related (just like at home)..

To the original poster.. The child isn't allowed to keep meds.. You have to turn them over to the counselors and they hand out all the meds at certain times of the day.

FWIW, hygiene seemed to improve at camp for my dc because they did it along with peers on the schedule...it has also improved with maturity, thank goodness! And as for meds, I even have to turn in vitamins to be administered by an adult there. I always send vitamin c supplements due to the colds, etc., that go around there.

My kid's camp has a nurse and all the medications (even over the counter stuff!) have to be turned into the nurse along with a note from the doctor about how much and when to take. Then the child is prompted to go to the nurse at the appropriate time if she doesn't actually remember on her own (she's been going since age 6). Have you asked your camp about what their particular policies are and whether or not they could assist with compliance?