Menu

Default anyone using the Charlotte Mason Method for your 2nd grader?

Denainms

icon1.gifanyone using the Charlotte Mason Method for your 2nd grader?

I would love to see your schedule and curriculum choices..I am in the process of re-evaluating our homeschooling and the textbook/wkbk method is sucking the life right out of them and me..I have a 7yr old that will be in 2nd grade (and doesn't follow directions at all, and he is all boy and really likes to use his hands). and an 11 yr old with some special needs that is on the same level as my son.

we have done R & S 1st grade, and we were trying some CLE 1st and 2nd grade, but that is just not working for us..:confused:

what are you using for reading, LA, and math? Anyone familiar with the Queens homeschooling materials..they look very intriguing to me.

My son will turn 7 in about 2 weeks and here is what we're doing for him:

Bible: KJV

Math: Rod and Staff 2

Latin: sits in with olders and learns vocab

Copywork (this covers spelling and handwriting)

Oral Narration every day (covers composition)

Reading: Charlotte Mason style reading lessons (he did some phonics previously)

Ambleside Online Year 1

But by saying CM, I mean that is the best explanation of our philosophy, not that we use Ambleside or Mater Amabilis.

2nd Grade Year

Bible- Explorer's Bible Study, Beginnings II

Math- Horizons Math 2 with plenty of games, math literacy and real life mixed in

Reading- 20 minutes daily of independent read, 1 chapter of whatever history/science book for the week

Poetry Memorization- The Harp and Laurel Wreath

History- Tapestry of Grace Year 2

Grammar- Primary Language Lessons

Phonics- Explode the Code (not very CM but helping dd7 tremendously)

French- Écoutez, Parlez! French Oral Program

Private piano lessons

Nature walks everyday (walking dog), study 1-2x a week, journaling when we want

Science- our own lessons

7:30-12 noon, 4 days a week. Friday we usually GO somewhere- a state park or whatever we want. Learning doesn't stop at noon, it happens all the time. If we choose another day to take off, then we work Friday.

Bible 15 min

Math 30 min

Reading 20 min/ 2x daily

Poetry 15 min

History 30 min (projects are done AFTER the rest of the lessons)

PLL 15 min

Science- 20-30 min daily

French 15 min

Piano practice 15-20 min daily

Read Aloud 20-30 min

My 2nd grader is doing:

Bible - read a Bible selection each day and write in bible journal, 5x

Math - Practise and Improve your Maths 2 (then Easy Learn Maths 3A), 5x

Copywork - daily from literature, poetry, history reading etc

Primary Language Lessons - 2 days a week.

Literature - Aesop Fables, A Lion to Guard Us (fits in with history period), Pocahontas and the Strangers, 50 famous tales, James Herriot Treasury for Children, Just So Stories, Lang's Fairy Tales (selected)

Poetry - work on poem memory each day using poems from PLL and R.L. Stevenson

World History - Child's History of the World (plus SOTW 3 which we do as a family), add extra history reading at own level.

Australian History - The First Australians, Wide Brown Land for Me

Science - Apologia Flying Creatures, Burgess Bird Book

French - learning vocab and songs from First Start French, 3x week

Piano

Violin

Singing and Music activities as a family (3x a week)

Artist study (family) 1x

Nature - Read from More Wildlife in the Suburbs, nature notebook

Other read aloud literature as a family.

I know it looks like lots but we don't do everything every day. Mostly she is done by lunch except for music practices and family read-aloud. Some of the literature selections are only read once a week. Some of the literature she reads alone then narrates to me, some I read to her and then she still narrates. Narration is big here :)

Her writing project is her own book of Aesop's Fables narrations, written and illustrated by her. When finished we will bind them into a nice book.

Sometimes I will have her draw about what we read and write a sentence or two about it as well. She's also doing a bit of dictation because she asks for it. I can send you our weekly schedule if you like so you can see how we break it up into days.

HTH

Linda

Well, this is what 2nd grade looks like here

reading

copywork pulled from their reading with instruction in mechanics, etc from their copywork

ETC for phonics and spelling

math

nature study/sketches

bedtime stories for read alouds

other than religion and their constant self-planned art projects....that's it. :)

icon1.gifanyone using the Charlotte Mason Method for your 2nd grader?

I would love to see your schedule and curriculum choices..I am in the process of re-evaluating our homeschooling and the textbook/wkbk method is sucking the life right out of them and me..I have a 7yr old that will be in 2nd grade (and doesn't follow directions at all, and he is all boy and really likes to use his hands). and an 11 yr old with some special needs that is on the same level as my son.

we have done R & S 1st grade, and we were trying some CLE 1st and 2nd grade, but that is just not working for us..:confused:

what are you using for reading, LA, and math? Anyone familiar with the Queens homeschooling materials..they look very intriguing to me.

We are using Ambleside Online Year 1 with dd 8. It's been fantastic. It's great also for special needs kids IMHO. There are lots of yahoo support groups. You can check it out at amblesideonline.org. For math, we have been doing math games, MEP (free online and an awesome program) and real life stuff like measuring, weighing things, estimating, etc. Language arts is all AO Year 1 based and consists of copywork and narration. No formal grammar study yet. I'm not familiar with Queens homeschooling materials.

Anita

thanks everyone, I really appreciate your advice, I had a melt down last night:chillpill: and this is what dh and I decided..and now I feel good about everything. By the way, Jessica(Trivium Academy) I spent alot of time reading your blog(totally amazing and so helpful!!) thank you for all the work you do. It is funny, I was already thinking about a study on Birds, and I got some ideas from your blog:)

Christian Light for the 3r's

create a poetry notebook from the poems in their CLE reader

Artpac Grade 2

Bible stories

HWT cursive, with copywork 2x a week(math facts and HappyScribe Bird copywork)

Hey Andrew, Greek(continuing level 2)

A study of the 50 states and Geography using the BF guide and Hollings books.

A unit study on Birds,(we were already reading the Burgess Bird Book) then whatever peaks their interests.

Stories of the Great Composers vol 1

Picture study of James Audubon art

I really love the "idea" of CM and her wonderful methods of learning, I just know that I won't be able to let go and do that fully,when it comes to Language Arts, so this gives me the best of everything with peace of mind. Does my plan look ok? and I missing anything?:)

Dena in MS