Menu

Book: Learning Grammar Through Writing

RoxanneB

I'm listening, too. This always happens to me. I'm beginning to think I have cooties....

On some forums I am the Official Thread Killer. I hope that isn't the case here, but I hadn't thought about the "cooties" potential.

We'll just try for a little while longer. Perhaps we'll be rewarded for our patient, large ears.

Edited by RoxanneB

I looked at it through ILL and thought it would be a great resource when my dc are older.

Sorry that this is the best response you have received.

That's actually very helpful in my particular case, given that my eldest is soon-to-be six.

It looks like I'll have to file it under "look at in the future" ;)

(Where's the sparkling water with a slice of lemon smilie?????)

I have this on my shelf but haven't used it for a long time. Thanks for reminding me what a great resource this is:001_smile: I think I'll have to dust it off and start using this with my grammar-challenged dd.

It really puts the responsibility on the student to look up their own grammar mistakes and correct them. I'm at work, so when I have the book in front of me I can post more specifics, but from what I remember there are numbered grammar rules with examples, and when proofreading your dc's work, you flag any mistakes with the corresponding number and have them look up the grammar rule and see why it's a mistake.

And pgr, your name is entirely too similar to "pqr", and I had to do a double take. He would never have flowers as his avatar, though:D

Good luck,

lisa

And pgr, your name is entirely too similar to "pqr", and I had to do a double take. He would never have flowers as his avatar, though:D

ahh, yes, so I've heard... :)

Thank you for sharing the info about this book - it sounds like a great resource. Is it geared toward the older grades?

Thanks!

:)

ahh, yes, so I've heard... :)

Thank you for sharing the info about this book - it sounds like a great resource. Is it geared toward the older grades?

Thanks!

:)

I would say upper elementary through high school, in order for it be used as intended.

I, unfortunately, fell into the "no formal grammar instruction necessary" mindset with my oldest, and have lived with consequences of poor writing structure and writing mechanics ever since. It is probably my biggest regret with her. She is eighth grade and I'm focusing now on bare bones basics with regard to writing mechanics, puncuation rules, etc. I use her writing to cover grammar rules as mistakes arise.

With my youngers I've seen the benefit of using a thorough grammar program from the beginning.

Anyway, this resource seems to fit with the needs of my oldest now, but can certainly be used with younger children as a tool in correcting mistakes in their writing.

lisa

Thank you to everyone for your input.

The lady who does our year-end evaluation recommended it and your descriptions make it sound perfect for our situation.

Off to purchase a copy!

(OleLadyinaShoe--here's a sweet tea to wash down the popcorn if you're a southerner. If sweet tea isn't your thing, I've got it prepared without sugar, too!)

• 4 weeks later...

Bumping...

I bought this used last week. It is a long numbered list of rules with examples. The method it suggests is: have the student write a composition, then have the teacher proof read it. The teacher should put the rule numbers in pencil wherever there is a grammar/punctuation mistake. Then the student goes over it, looks at every rule poined out and correct their composition.

This doesn't seem to me to be a good way to teach the rules. It is a good way to reinforce the rules. At the very least, it is a good reference of grammar rules listed by category for the teacher. However, it does require the teacher to memorize the numbering of the rules and this memorization is not useful anywhere else. It is a bit like having to memorize the spelling rule numbers in Spalding - again not useful outside the spelling program.

The book says it is for grades 2-8. I don't think my first grader will be ready to work this way next year. I think it will be useful for grades 4 or above, when the student starts doing written narrations and perhaps some original compositions.

If someone wants examples, do let me know.

• 1 year later...

I just got this in the mail yesterday.

I'm figuring the most useful way to use this is to teach the grammar rules one by one and only require the student to be responsible for the rules that have already been studied.

The wording and rules chosen look mostly good to me. I'll probably reword and add a few, and have the students create their own comp and grammar handbooks, similar but not identical to LGTW.

I also ordered The Dictation Resource Book. There is a LOT of overlap between these programs, and I intend to try to use them combined with WRTR 4th. I'm not sure how. About half the composition I teach is sentence composition based on spelling words.

I like how the beginner topics are in larger print so they are easy to pick out.

Is this curriculum OOP? My copy is used from BetterWorldBooks.com thanks to a Christmas gift from a friend here :-)