Menu

Help with grammar for 3rd going on 4th grade

redtexas

I need help figuring out what grammar would be best for my almost 9yr old boy. He has very little grammar exposure before. He knows what a noun is and few other things, but that is about it. He is almost done with WWE level 1 and will be moving onto level 2 soon. I am not sure if FFL 3 is the right fit or should I pick out a completely different program. I don't have too much time, so something that is not teacher intensive.

Thanks for any recommends!

I have just started teaching grammar to my 8YO. I just really hadn't considered it until now. We are doing FLL1 (very quickly) and WWE1. They go hand in hand. It was important to me to begin at the beginning to be sure he does miss anything. We are 2-5 lessons a day in FLL and 2 a day in WWE. I have no doubts he will be caught up to grade level in a year or less. I'm already seeing big improvements.

We really like Growing with Grammar. We did FLL 1 but didn't like all the script so we moved to GWG and have used it for 3 yrs. Works well for my son.

It's mostly independent, no teacher prep, and I can easily point out the problems if he gets it wrong and show him where in the text the info is.

For never having had a grammar study beyond nouns and verbs, I chose R&S 3 for a fourth grader. I am glad that I did. By teacher intensive, I am assuming that you do not have time to prepare formal lessons, which is not necessary with R&S. Also, after a few lessons, I found dd picks up the book and teaches herself for the most part. We do not do grammar together often. I have her complete the written practices after using my book to look at the orals. :) She must complete all reviews though.

I was hesitant about FLL3 since FLL 1/2 did not work very well for DS. This was mainly because he does not like to do everything aurally. However, I tried FLL3 and have been very pleased.

DS likes that the lessons are straight forward and the diagramming is on student pages. Everything he needs is right there in his notebook. We do a short lesson and then he gets to diagram. Easy peasy!