Menu

First beef with RS

Mom-ninja.

We're doing RS level E and I've run into our first problem. The way percents were taught is well.....not enough. My ds is absolutely clueless and crying. I'm really not seeing how the explanation of percents then carries over the exercises. Obviously, my ds doesn't see it either.

I guess I'll get MM percent section and see if that explains things better. Sigh. Our first time not understanding how something is explained in RS.

I remember feeling that way to. i don't think the child is supposed to master it. If you think about it, this is something that will be covered again the next year. So we just played the games. It seemed to work pretty well. It's important, but not enough to stress over! I think the most important thing for the child to remember is that fractions and percents are related, and be able to state that 1/4 as a fraction is 25%. There are some pretty obscure lessons, so don't stress. Just work through them and then reinforce my previous statement with the fractions and percents games. HTH!

I remember feeling that way to. i don't think the child is supposed to master it. If you think about it, this is something that will be covered again the next year. So we just played the games. It seemed to work pretty well. It's important, but not enough to stress over! I think the most important thing for the child to remember is that fractions and percents are related, and be able to state that 1/4 as a fraction is 25%. There are some pretty obscure lessons, so don't stress. Just work through them and then reinforce my previous statement with the fractions and percents games. HTH!

Thanks for the reminder that this is just introductory level and mastery is not needed yet. He's still shaky on seeing percents as fractions so I'll concentrate on that. It took him an hour to do 5 problems. All the while my two yr old was screaming in fits over random things. Teaching math would be easier without my toddler screaming right next to me.

MM doesn't have percents until 6-8 grade level. I'll check out Key to Percents. We'll play the percent games more.

We're doing RS level E and I've run into our first problem. The way percents were taught is well.....not enough. My ds is absolutely clueless and crying. I'm really not seeing how the explanation of percents then carries over the exercises. Obviously, my ds doesn't see it either.

I guess I'll get MM percent section and see if that explains things better. Sigh. Our first time not understanding how something is explained in RS.

I'm just glad to know you got to Level E before you had a problem!

My suggestion is to do what I thought the title read: have your first beer with RS. :tongue_smilie::lol:

:lol::lol: