Menu

Phonics Road question

cylau

I am still looking around for curriculum for dd6 (1st grade next fall), mainly for Language arts.

Since a number of people are using Phonics Road. If dd6 is a good reader, reading around end of 2nd grade, beginning 3rd grade level, which level should I start her out on? She is not a good speller at all.

My DD is also 6. We have been using PR 1 this year. DD was reading at a much higher grade level than she was in (1st this year), but with PR you start at the beginning. It is ok if the reading is easy, much of the work in PR 1 is geared around the breaking down and spelling of words. My DD also needed work in spelling, so this has really helped her! Her spelling has grown leaps and bounds! The readers were way too easy for her, but she still had fun drawing pictures for them.

The intention of the author is to start in 1st grade, around 6ish in age, b/c of the spelling and writing components of the program. Start in 1. While the phonics may be review, it is possible that the more advanced teams (augh, ough, ie, ei, igh, etc.) will be new and she'll learn the application of each of the sounds.

PR is a wonderful program. The longer we use it, the more I love it. I have 4 dc in the program now.

ETA: I started PR w/ 2 boys who could both read; one read well enough to be tested for honors and the other was not great (behind in my "book"). The honors one could spell well, too for a 1st grader. Well, PR has improved them both Well Beyond expectation and after having a same grade/age peer in my house this week (who also is in gifted in ps) PR knocks my socks off! I get the S&S of ps is different, but the difference in sentence writing ability is honestly, no comparison.

Edited by johnandtinagilbert

Start with PR 1.

I finished PR 1 with my older two, we are now in PR 2. My 6yo has finished learning the phonograms in PR 1 and has started his building codes and spelling words. I am using it to teach him to read and have been so thrilled with the process!

I was just watching future lessons and Mrs. Beers discusses why dictation is important. She is saying the same thing the SWB says about dictation. The great part about PR is that the dictation is all done in relation to the spelling, sentence building and literature study. It's not done out of context of any other learning. I feel completely comfortable that Phonics Road is building an excellent foundation in the core LA skills.