Menu

Lial's... Basic College Mathematics or Prealgebra for 8th grade?

I'm asking here instead of on the Logic Stage Board because this is where the Lial's folks seem to hang out. :-)

Jann in TX recently recommended BCM...

Pre-Algebra. There are 2 choices for this level. My favorite is Basic College Math. This reviews middle school math--showing the BEGINNING of the concept and expanding it to the Pre-Algebra level. It is a solid course and prepares students for Algebra 1.

For young students who are not quite ready (mature enough) for Algebra 1, but they have completed BCM, Lial's Pre-Algebra is a good step-up program. It is a standard Pre-Algebra program--but it starts in the 'middle' of concepts (as most traditional Pre-Algebra texts do)--this means students were expected to have already MASTERED all elementary math... this is why I like BCM more (students see the whole concept so any 'wholes' are identified and are easier to re mediate).

That sounds great except that when I looked at the TOC of BCM, it looks like ds is already really solid in most of the topics covered. He's spent this year working through Key to Fractions and Decimals & Percents and I think he'd cry if I gave him any more practice with those topics. I can see that he could use some lessons on Ratio & Proportion, Measurement, Geometry, Basic Algebra and Statistics.

So should I buy BCM and just do those chapters in half a year and then move into Prealgebra or Algebra? Or could I skip BCM and buy Prealgebra instead?

This is kind of a nightmare for me to have to decide on because I order all my hs materials in June to be shipped to friends who then bring them to me in August. So it's not as if I can just try something for a month and then if it doesn't work out order something different. Anyone have any advice? Thanks.

Should I also get Prealgebra under the assumption that he'll probably finish BCM early? Or should I get Algebra? Or should I wait and see and spend a fortune on shipping whichever one I decide on half-way through next school year?

I have these same questions. My 7th grade dd did MUS Pre-Albgebra this year, but is not ready to do Alg. I actually have both the Lial's BCM and Pre-Algebra. I was looking through them last night as still am undecided. I know this is no help to you, but in looking through the books, if I had a child that was strong in basic math, I think I would go with the Pre-Algebra. That is what I did a few years ago with one of my dd's and she went through the whole series successfully.

I think there is mild confusion.

Lials BCM = pre algebra.

You shouldn't need to also purchase more pre algebra.

When done with BCM, you would move on to Lials Introductory Algebra or Lials Beginning Algebra. Either of those are equal to algebra 1.

Do you need ISBM numbers?

We went straight into Lial's Pre-Algebra - not BCM - with my 11yo (mathy) & 13yo (non-mathy) sons. It has not been difficult. It seems like basic PA to me. They had both finished Saxon 76 prior to Lials and we didn't notice any hugh gaps. The explanations are SO MUCH better than Saxon. It's clear and easy to use. Now I will say that I sat down with them, read the lessons, and helped with the side problems for probably the first 3 weeks in this text. That was very helpful to help them "get the hang" of it. Now they work independently unless they have a question. That was never the case with Saxon.

Good luck.

I think there is mild confusion.

Lials BCM = pre algebra.

You shouldn't need to also purchase more pre algebra.

When done with BCM, you would move on to Lials Introductory Algebra or Lials Beginning Algebra. Either of those are equal to algebra 1.

Do you need ISBM numbers?

They actually sell two different books, Basic College Mathematics and Prealgebra. The explanation that I posted was quoted from Jann in TX. I know nothing about the program except what I've read here.

I've only seen Introductory Algebra from Lial's, not Beginning Algebra. Is BA from a different Lial's series? I saw the Developmental Series recommended, so that's the one I was going to go with. I would very much appreciate ISBN numbers if you don't mind. I really don't want to buy the wrong thing with such a big investment. Thanks.

If you have ALREADY worked through a Pre-Algebra program (or similar like the Keys) and your student is not quite ready for Algebra (PLEASE do not rush into Algebra!!!) then use Lial's Pre-Algebra.

This is similar to the Saxon 87 vs Algebra 1/2 debates! Both prepare you for Algebra 1-- but SOME students really benefit from working both-- and some students can do the 'higher' one only and do just fine!

In your case-- I'd use Lial's Pre-Algebra-- you are probably correct that the 'basics' of BCM may be a bit too easy (less challenging) for your student.

Overall I suggest BCM over Pre-Algebra for FIRST TIME Pre-Algebra students-- especially if they have used several different programs for elementary math-- BCM is great at filling in gaps!

Okay, so Prealgebra it is! Thanks!

Next question... Is the book Prealgebra and Introductory Algebra a two year course that combines the separate books Prealgebra and Introductory Algebra? If I could buy the one book it would save me money in the long run if it contained all the same material. I don't want it though if it's both courses smooshed together into a one-year course.

Okay, so Prealgebra it is! Thanks!

Next question... Is the book Prealgebra and Introductory Algebra a two year course that combines the separate books Prealgebra and Introductory Algebra? If I could buy the one book it would save me money in the long run if it contained all the same material. I don't want it though if it's both courses smooshed together into a one-year course.

:lurk5:

The 'combo' texts (other than Pre-Calc) are NOT 2 year programs-- they are cut down versions that will try to 'combine' concepts to reduce the number of lessons --they also do not have great reviews...

The combo text is used BEST for remedial students who have PREVIOUSLY taken the course (it may have been a few years)-- and they need a quick review-- meaning they can be refreshed on 2 levels in one year (or semester if they complete one whole lesson per day).

The condensation in the combo texts can sometimes be a bit awkward-- and again they are NOT suggested for the 'first time through' a course.

--

The Pre-Calc text is a TRUE combo text-- it combines 2 FULL one semester courses into one text (majority of students take 2 semesters to complete the text-- and it saves $$$$ only having to purchase one book!).

• Like 1