Menu

Anything similar to Life of Fred for science?

Hello,

My dd just discovered the format of Life of Fred and seems to be enjoying it. I am curious if anyone is familiar with anything like this format for a sciene program? I don't need a "lab-heavy" course. She will begin 9th grade in the Fall.

Thank you,

Pam

• 1 month later...

The other pre-algebra book is economics. We used the pre-algebra biology book last year. It's probably good for a half a year of math. We learned some biology, but I don't believe it would fulfill a high school credit of biology, even for non-science child. You could use it as a supplement, however.

A few "fun" looking science books I've seen are:

The Way Life Works

Ellen McHenry's The Elements and Carbon Chemistry. IMO, these would need supplemented to count as a high school credit as well.

There are lot of intricate coloring books for advanced sciences.

You could round any credit with living books from that area of science.

The other pre-algebra book is economics. We used the pre-algebra biology book last year. It's probably good for a half a year of math. We learned some biology, but I don't believe it would fulfill a high school credit of biology, even for non-science child. You could use it as a supplement, however.

A few "fun" looking science books I've seen are:

The Way Life Works

Ellen McHenry's The Elements and Carbon Chemistry. IMO, these would need supplemented to count as a high school credit as well.

There are lot of intricate coloring books for advanced sciences.

You could round any credit with living books from that area of science.

I glossed over the grade level. My dd, who loved LOF, did Conceptual Chemistry, which is NOT LOF style, but the lectures are very entertaining and there is no math. Taking Chem before Biology is very helpful since there is a fair bit of Chem involved in some of biology (biochem). Dd did the MicroChem labs with it and did all this in gr 9.

Not texts, but the Uncle Albert books by Russell Stannard are a hoot, and a good basic introduction to a mind stretching subject. We have:

Black Holes and Uncle Albert

Time and Space of Uncle Albert

Uncle Albert and the Quantum Quest

Edited by nmoira

There are also some excellent resources out there in graphic novel/manga format.

Jay Hosler's Clan Apis, Sandwalk Adventures, and Optical Allusions

The Stuff of Life and Evolution: A Story of Life on Earth

The Manga Guide to ..... (we especially like Molecular Biology)

The Cartoon Guide to ..... by Larry Gonick