Menu

Any aquarium experts or maybe science smarties?

The ammonia on my 50 gallon aquarium just spiked recently for no apparent reason and it smells awful. This happened right after I cleaned the aquarium and changed the filters. I have changed out 25% of the water and added ammonia clear. So far no luck in getting it too come down. Any ideas on what caused it or what I can do about it?

How strange! Is the water straight from the tap? Do you put in those drops that remove chlorine? It has been awhile since we've had our tank operational so I forget the name of it. I guess, I would just keep trying to change the water.

Our water changing story: when our tank was operational we used a siphon to remove the water (with a hose that took the water out to our garden). Then we would hook the hose up to our tap in the kitchen and fill it up from there (we used the chlorine removal drops afterwards). Unbeknownst to us, a valve had broken on our faucet and instead of cold water from the tank, my dh was filling it with hot! My dh said to me, "Look, Jean! The fish are dancing!" I put my hand on the tank and it was hot! I ran and dumped tons of ice in the tank but the fish all died - cooked, I think. We haven't had fish since. . . .

You probably removed too much of the bacteria that gets rid of the ammonia when you changed the filters. I haven't had fish in awhile, but I remember that some sites recommended keeping some of the old filter material to keep enough of the bacteria when you changed the filter material.

There is a product called BioSpira that contains the bacteria needed for the nitrogen cycle in an aquarium. If you can't get the ammonia down by continuing to change out part of the water, it might be something that would work.

I agree, you probably removed too much of your good bacteria. Are you running a biowheel? You probably should test your tap water, or whatever source you're using during water changes. I had a crazy ammonia spike once, did daily 25% water changes for several days only to find out my tap water had a higher ammonia content all of a sudden. So, water changes were only maintaining the problem. I highly recommend using Prime as a water conditioner. It detoxifies ammonia so those random spikes won't hurt your fishies. HTH!

You probably removed too much of the bacteria that gets rid of the ammonia when you changed the filters. I haven't had fish in awhile, but I remember that some sites recommended keeping some of the old filter material to keep enough of the bacteria when you changed the filter material.

There is a product called BioSpira that contains the bacteria needed for the nitrogen cycle in an aquarium. If you can't get the ammonia down by continuing to change out part of the water, it might be something that would work.

I agree, you probably removed too much of your good bacteria. Are you running a biowheel? You probably should test your tap water, or whatever source you're using during water changes. I had a crazy ammonia spike once, did daily 25% water changes for several days only to find out my tap water had a higher ammonia content all of a sudden. So, water changes were only maintaining the problem. I highly recommend using Prime as a water conditioner. It detoxifies ammonia so those random spikes won't hurt your fishies. HTH!

This is probably it. I thoroughly cleaned it, changed water and filters. It is an established aquarium (3 years), I have a bio-wheel, and use water conditioner. I guess I should add a bacterial product. It is just so strange as I do all of these things about every six months and haven't had this problem since new adjustments. I have never had it stink before. It smells like cat pee! Well I will check my tap water and add bacteria. Thanks.