Menu

Singapore math question

BBarnes

We're currently using Singapore US Edition, which doesn't seem to cover as many topics as other curriculums. Assuming that we will switch to something other than Singapore after 6B. What math topics are missing from the Singapore US edition that you think need to be added on?

I already know I want to add on negative numbers.

What about square roots and exponents? I see other curriculums have them but singapore waits.

Probability & Statistics. Can anyone give me a reason why this needs to be taught?

Anything else?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

weird this post didn't get any answer.

SM standard edition covers neg, exponent. I didn't see square root yet. But I did introduce that to my son when i taught him exponent. It was 1 min concept, really not that big deal. STD also cover probability.statistic that US didn't cover. So I will suggest u to switch if u worry that u miss those topic.

Guest squiremouse

We use Singapore US edition since Earlybird and my Boyo just finished 5A (he has finished 4th grade). Things I have noticed we have to cover more deeply- Roman numerals, clocks, fractions, algebraic type equasions (54+22= x+37) That x freaks him out.

What I have done to cover some of the holes: Head of the class (www.thotc.com), and Life of Fred: Fractions, and random worksheets on Roman numerals and clocks.

All that being said, I plan on keeping singapore until he finishes 6B and then we will move to Life of Fred and CLE, at least that is what I am thinking right now.

Mia

One option to consider is not switching from Singapore until after doing the first level of the secondary curriculum. Even if you don't plan on following the "integrated math" approach all the way through, do take a look at Discovering Mathematics 1. I was all set to switch DD's spine from Singapore to Horizons Pre-Algebra because NEM intimidated me. But then the ladies over on the logic forum started talking about DM and it looks very similar to Singapore Primary Math.

I think a student who has completed Singapore Primary Math and DM1 would be very well prepared for the traditional American high school math sequence of Algebra I through Calculus.