Menu

What do you do for young toddlers?

kmehra81

Hi All,

So, this is my first time posting here. We've been lurking awhile and I have used so many of your suggestions on curriculum, etc. I've gotten great information on Kindergarten and preK curriculums. However, I seem to always come to a roadblock for the 2 year old age group.

My youngest DS just turned 2 and I'm curious what you do or have done as far as learning with that age group? I understand doing letters and numbers but are their particular things you have done that have/had worked for your little ones?

Any help and advice would be awesome!

Thanks so much!

LOTS of play, and a little bit of casual instruction with songs, counting to 5 if they are interested ... Mostly we work on behavior, obedience, kindness to siblings, etc.. :001_smile:

They are still learning about getting shoes off & on, potty training, eating with forks, etc...

This is a hard age! My 2 year old is just kind of going along with what her brother is doing. I use letter of the week and she does what she can. She can write on a chalk board or white board, sort items by color or size, lace animals, peg boards, etc. I let her do what her older brother is doing, but she doesn't "get" all of it. Do a web search for "tot school" and you will come up with tons of ideas. Good luck! I hope more people chime in, because I always need ideas for my 2 little ones while the olders are doing schoolwork.

Carly

At that age we just read stories and listened to music and played. Play-doh, park time, pretend play, bubbles, all the basic stuff that lays a foundation for both a good relationship and further skill development.

Us too. If my olders are painting - she gets to paint. If my olders are drawing with pastels, she gets crayons. My youngest is 22 months and has used markers, crayons, colored pencils.

We play with plastic food and talk about what the food is, what color it is, etc. We play baby doll to teach nurturing and caring for others. We roll play doh. We play in the sandbox and in a water table (use a rubbermaid tub for under your bed is a cheap alternative to sand and or water tables). She is learning to ride a big wheel for motor development (busy keeping up with the olders on their scooters). We read and read and read. We talk. If I'm cooking, she has stirs a pot with a wooden spoon.

2 years olds just need to be present in your life. Involve them where you can and talk to them while you do things and they will be more than fine.

Lots of play. Imaginative play is important for future cognitive development so I encourage lots of pretend play. I help my little one extend her play sequences (i.e. if my little one brings me some "lunch" I might drop it and cause a "mess" to be cleaned up).

As far as academics go, they find their way into play all the time. Letters and letter sounds are usually learned through just playing with a few LeapFrog toys. Counting pops up all the time in play. My little one enjoys counting as we go up and down stairs too. Shapes and colors are part of everyday conversation.

So I do a lot, but not a lot. I just try to weave everything into play. Here is a brief description of some things I did with my toddler.

Thank you all for your suggestions and just letting me know what you do. We do a lot of imaginative play (and lots of following the older brother and trying to do exactly what he does). But I always get stuck sneaking in academic stuff, so to speak. I'll also do a search for the Tot Schools online.

Thanks again ladies!!

I created Montessori type 'works' for my daughter at that age, out of a need to keep her occupied while I worked with her brothers. She asked every day to do 'school' so this was successful in satisfying her highness.

I was going to suggest Montessori also. We are just starting out with a couple of books that follow the philosophy but without the expensive hands on resources that are used in a real Montessori environment.

Becky, I checked out your blog. Your little girl looks so adorable :)!

Thank you all for your suggestions and just letting me know what you do. We do a lot of imaginative play (and lots of following the older brother and trying to do exactly what he does). But I always get stuck sneaking in academic stuff, so to speak. I'll also do a search for the Tot Schools online.

I don't think you *need* to sneak in academic stuff. Even letters and counting, it won't matter if you wait a year to teach them. In fact, my oldest learned his letters right at 2 (recognizing them) and sounds by 2.5, but didn't read until 4.5. My middle son didn't have any clue what a letter was until almost 4, and he's 4.25 and reading CVC words. Blending actually clicked with him earlier than the older son. Go figure.

2 year olds learn a lot via osmosis. Just let it happen! If you're schooling older kids, focus on them, and just read a lot to the 2 year old. Include the 2 year old in your daily activities. That's where they'll learn the most, not by sneaking in letters and numbers (which, btw, my middle child would NOT let me read him an alphabet book at that age... It's like he *knew* I was trying to teach him something :lol:).