Menu

Abeka Phonics...what do I NEED to use this program?

I am looking into getting Abeka phonics to review over the summer with dd (just turned five this week) to give her a solid foundation. I would like to know what elements I actually NEED to use this program, which ones you highly recommend, and what are maybe nice to have but not absolutely necessary.

We do have some funds left in our budget and I want to use them wisely, but Abeka offers a lot of supplements that I am not sure if we need.

Thanks for advice! :)

Are you thinking about the grade 1 phonics? Or k.

Either way, I would suggest the Basic Phonics Flashcards. They have the sound on the front, and on the back there are a handful of words to practice.

I used K this year with just the TM, Phonics Workbook, Handbook for Reading and Basic Phonics Flashcards. I hardly used the TM, but it was helpful at times.

Are you thinking about the grade 1 phonics? Or k.

Either way, I would suggest the Basic Phonics Flashcards. They have the sound on the front, and on the back there are a handful of words to practice.

I used K this year with just the TM, Phonics Workbook, Handbook for Reading and Basic Phonics Flashcards. I hardly used the TM, but it was helpful at times.

I completely agree. This is exactly what I have done for 2 children, and it has worked very well for us! We also got the readers for additional practice, but they aren't necessary.

I only used the workbook for K. For 1st grade we used the workbooks, TM, Basic Phonics Flashcards & Large Phonics Teaching charts. They were great. For review purposes I'd recommend the TM & 2 sets of charts. The TM gives you all the phonics rules. OR get a copy of The Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading by SWB. It will cost less, go over all the rules and be a good review.

Well, we used A Beka in a super-scaled down way. I just used A Handbook for Reading along with the readers. We did our lessons together out of the Handbook, then DD would read the appropriate story aloud to me and I would help her through it :).

The Handbook for Reading. Go page by page through that book and you will have a great reader. When you get through it once, go back through for review. That's all it takes. The flash cards are nice for drilling and review... the cd is good to learn correct sounds... but they aren't essential, in my opinion. :001_smile: