Menu

Social Skills Classes, etc

Has anyone had a child participate?

If so, how did you find them?

I live outside a fairly large metro area but I'm stumbling to find something that fits. Ds has had no formal medical testing. The school district tested in K and their "team" felt he met the criteria for PDD-NOS. I feel certain now that he is older he is more Asperger's. We are at a point he needs help with social skills.

Talk to the counselor at your DS's school. Some years ago, my DS along with a few peers, were asked to eat lunch 3x a week at the Counselors office with another boy working on social skills. It was a great idea for all involved.

we don't have many resources locally here for things like that either-we see a child behavior psychologist and she does role play/time with zach--I have a book about social situation/emotions but when I got it he didn't show any interest--I'm thinking about pulling it out again--I got it on amazon.com (the incredible 5 point scale).....

My ds just started a social skills program based on Michelle Garcia Winner's approach to social skills. She actually calls it "social thinking." Check out her web site at socialthinking.com. It has tons of info and resources that my help you. I was lucky enough to attend one of Winner's conferences and I really learned quite a bit.:001_smile:

Take care,

Michelle