Menu

Finishing Saxon 3, what level next?

mommydearest

Saxon 54 is after Saxon 3.

Saxon K, 1, 2, 3, 54, 65, 76, 87, Algebra 1/2, Algebra 1, Algbebra 2, Advanced Math, Calculus. If a child does well in the current edition's 87, the child can skip directly to Algbra 1. :001_smile: HTH!

ITA, except I don't think it's necessary to do both Math 87 and Alg. ½. I thought it was that a child who zoomed through Math 76 did Math 87 then Alg. 1, but if he struggled through Math 76 then he did Alg. ½, and then Alg. 1.

I don't think so, unless the new publisher has made changes. It has always been that students used either Math 87 or Alg. ½, not both. Is it different now?

You're right - and Coffegal also agrees:

"If a child does well in the current edition's 87, the child can skip directly to Algbra 1" (from her post above)

You're right - and Coffegal also agrees:

"If a child does well in the current edition's 87, the child can skip directly to Algbra 1" (from her post above)

Thanks, Brenda. :001_smile:

Ellie, I think they have changed the recommended path. Currently it's recommended all children go directly into Saxon 87 after Saxon 76. If the student completes 87 with 80% mastery, the student can move directly into Algebra 1. Otherwise it's recommended the student completes Algebra 1/2 before beginning Algebra 1. :001_smile:

http://saxonhomeschool.hmhco.com/en/homeschool_faq.htm#recommend

Wow! Now you've got me wondering about my DD8 who is doing Saxon 3 this year. I assumed she'd go to 5/4, not 6/5. How did you choose to skip 54?

(I only did this with my first child the other two go to Math 54 from Saxon 3.)

My personal experience with this particular child, my first to homeschool :): I started the Saxon sequence in 1st grade with Saxon 1 knowing that often times Saxon is used one grade ahead. I did find that Saxon was not as challenging at grade level (my experience with my child, YMMV), so I decided that for kids 2 and 3 we would start with Saxon 2 in first grade.

I had first child take the placement tests after Saxon 3 (I know - you aren't supposed to do this when you aren't already using Saxon, but I did anyway.) He placed into 65 - so I purchased both 65 and 54, knowing that children 3 and 4 would use 54. I compared the two books and decided to jump my son ahead to the next level with the intention of slowing things down if I needed to - (I didn't need to). Basically - I just wanted him to be on the same track as his siblings (Math 54 in 3rd grade and Math 65 in 4th grade). Which probably isn't a great reason - but it did no harm!

For our family - its actually worked out well that we chose this plan, since Life has happened and now the two oldest are back to being at grade level instead of a year ahead. Same son is now in 87 for 7th grade.

I probably shouldn't even have posted on this thread and muddied the waters, but I thought, "I wonder what grade her child is in and if he finds math easy?" If your child is going into the fourth grade and could use a challenge in math, then maybe you would want to look at 65 - which was one of the OP's choices. If the child's going into 3rd grade - stick with 54, no need to rush things.

I'm not sure what Saxon's progression is, but SWB says to go from 3 to 5/4, from 5/4 to 6/5, and from 6/5 to 7/6. If the student has mastered the basic skills, they then move on to Alg. 1/2 in 7th, Alg. 1 in 8th, and so one and so forth. If the student needs more time to master the basics, then they would use 8/7 in the 7th grade and move into Alg. 1/2 in 8th.

As I understand it, books K through 3 are "grade" levels, but all the books after that are "skill" levels. The example is given that 3 is followed by 5/4, which is for 4th graders who finished 3 or for 5th graders who took 2 years to finish 3. The second number is for "quick" learners and the first one is for "average" learners.

I assume she got her information from Saxon (the book reads that way), but we all know what assuming can do to you...:tongue_smilie:

May be TMI, but I HTH!:lol:

Thanks, Brenda. :001_smile:

Ellie, I think they have changed the recommended path. Currently it's recommended all children go directly into Saxon 87 after Saxon 76. If the student completes 87 with 80% mastery, the student can move directly into Algebra 1. Otherwise it's recommended the student completes Algebra 1/2 before beginning Algebra 1. :001_smile:

http://saxonhomeschool.hmhco.com/en/homeschool_faq.htm#recommend

Oh, ok. Thanks for posting this. Just ignore my previous post! :lol: