Menu

Now I have a question about the Convention debacle...

I read too.

I was thinking on this topic yesterday and some of today. I think it is that they are "human". How many of us read her books? How many are on her forums?

Yet, what does she support and propose? Using real books and not pre-packaged curriculums. She cuts into the profits that they might otherwise enjoy. This is the only explanation I could find, other than they are just being mean. If you think about what you read in the WTM, it is good reasoning. For elementary, you only need RS and Saxon (the oldie but goodie) for several years. Now, I tend to grab those items that will make my life easier, like RSO and HO for examples. I have found our resources now are more varied for the classical style. You should have been around 10ish years ago!

Let's also mention, smart people are intimidating to the illiterate. :)

Gotcha. So, Ken Ham went after, not only the author that he disagrees with, but also the publisher. Classy. (not).

I like Ken Ham. We heard him speak at a conference (not homeschool related) and he was great! I agree with MANY of his ideas and he is a wonderful speaker. I am sad that he chose to pit himself against someone else in a homeschool conference. At the same time, I realize his rebuttal is that, as a Christian, he is to rebuke false teachings. I get that he sees Dr. Enns as having a false teaching...but it is much different than the doctorine issues we find in protestant churches today? It looks to me like Dr. Enns interprets the garden of Eden in a figurative sense and thinks folks shouldn't tell their kids about sin before they are older. Is this really such false teaching that he needs to be called out and slanderized for it. Does Mr. Ham believe that this man is now going to Hell for this belief? If so, I wouldn't call that Christian-like.

I think back to Paul preaching the gospel and talking about how there were false preachers who were out only for their own gain...but if one sinner was brought to Christ through their words, then it didn't matter. The Holy spirit will lead afterwards.

I just have to say that my prayers are with all involved and I am very sad to see Christians behave this way. I am also terribly sad and sorry that SWB's name was dragged through the mud because she owns the company who published a book. :( I have a feel that God is not smiling in this whole situation and is not very proud of any of the theologians involved here.

Gotcha. So, Ken Ham went after, not only the author that he disagrees with, but also the publisher. Classy. (not).

Notice also that so far we only have 3rd hand information (so and so sat in a session and came up to SWB saying such and such was said). I'd just like to know exactly what he said before I form my opinion.

Notice also that so far we only have 3rd hand information (so and so sat in a session and came up to SWB saying such and such was said). I'd just like to know exactly what he said before I form my opinion.

I agree with that 100%. I am pretty sure that Ken does not deny saying things or having the intention of saying things re: Dr. Enns. I never saw SWBs name until the letter from the convention board.

Based on all your posts in several threads, I would suggest that you contact the conference and order tapes, because EVEN IF someone posts here that they were personally sitting there and HEARD him, it is still secondhand, according to what you are saying. :)

How about from Ken Ham or AIG?

Ken showed two video clips of Dr. Enns, done in the context of showing how some modern Christian speakers are compromising God’s Word in Genesis. Ken did say that Dr. Enns was also speaking at the conference and had connections to another convention speaker, Susan Wise Bauer. In another talk about a common Christian viewpoint that compromises Genesis, Ken briefly mentioned that one of the speakers at this convention took that view...You can read for yourself what Ken wrote in his blog and Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=186618808050260

I will be speaking at a homeschool convention in Greenville, SC. Sadly, one of the speakers also listed to give presentations does not believe in a historical Adam or historical Fall (he will also be promoting his “Bible” curriculum for homeschoolers). In fact, what he teaches about Genesis is not just compromising Genesis with evolution, it is outright liberal theology that totally undermines the authority of the Word of God. It is an attack on the Word—on Christ. Dr. Enns now works with the very liberal Biologos Foundation

http://blogs.answersingenesis.org/blogs/ken-ham/2011/03/15/another-compromiser-speaking-at-homeschool-conventions/

http://blogs.answersingenesis.org/blogs/ken-ham/2011/03/19/teaching-the-truth-amidst-a-sea-of-lies/

This is why I don't like reading things by Ken Ham. Way too dogmatic for my tastes. It is possible for a YEC to use less offensive wording.