Menu

Results of testing - can I submit to another group?

A couple of years ago (2009) I had a son (he was finishing 8th grade) tested for LDs by a local child psychologist. She did a whole battery of tests, I received a written evaluation, and she offered little as far as "now what do I do with this knowledge".

Ds has major issues with processing speed and verbal immediate/verbal delayed skills. His visual immediate/delayed scores were very high. He scores average to high average to far above average on everything else. I had discussed with her the idea of "stealth dyslexia" which was something she was unfamiliar with. But she did research it and felt it was probably an appropriate diagnosis. But she offered nothing as to how to help this son. So I've been winging it on my own (and with help from some on this board) for the past 2 years.

I'm wondering if it is possible to send the results of the testing (and his new ACT tests) to someone else who might be able to help me find ways to address and hopefully help the areas where he struggles. If you've done this, can you tell me how to go about finding someone who would review the tests for me? I cannot find anyone locally who can help with intervention - they can all diagnose, but no one seems to have ideas of how to help.

He did test borderline ADHD (inattentive type) as well but she could not make a diagnosis because it required an assessment from another observer.

He does appear to be improving - maybe I've stumbled upon ways to help - but I know his potential is so much greater than the standardized (ACT) test scores are indicating.

Any advice or words of wisdom?

Are you near a college? This may sound silly but in several of my classes we would be given test scores and scenarios like this and then have to create goals, objectives, curriculum plans, resources, and so on. Maybe you could connect with a professor, explain what you want, and anonymously the information could be presented as a class project which would gain much insight for you.

Cynthia, around here I was told the person to see was a neuropsych. He would do IQ, acheivement, etc., reading the tea leaves but also looking for what parts of the brain are or are not working correctly. My suggestion is to search by therapies, since that at least puts you in the ballpark of practitioners who are innovative and trying them. For instance use the websites for CogMed and Interactive Metronome to find some people in your state who do them. Just very quickly I did a search on IM's site for people in OK and found a variety, including a PhD psych. So you might be able to find some options that way. If they aren't the right person, they might have someone else to recommend. I learned years ago from my SIL not to be bashful about taking advantage of free help. :)

Yes, I'd look for someone very experienced with LDs and twice-exceptional types of kiddos and take the test results to them. You'll want to bring the subtest scores. I'd anticipate you'll have to pay for the consultation. A university might be a good place to start, if they have a psych and/or neuropsych department. (We had luck with an ed psych, who we found by word of mouth; she also is listed on the websites of local gifted schools for admissions testing. The analysis was complicated enough that a person not very experienced with this type of analysis might have shrugged rather than find what our person was able to come up with.) They should issue a report complete with educational recommendations - these are often directed to schools/teachers.

As he is in high school, I'd also keep in mind that the scores and/or the diagnosis might qualify him for accommodations on standardized tests like the SAT and maybe ACT (e.g., the low processing speed score might get you extra time on the SAT). I don't know the ins and outs of that, but I do know a person with dyslexia for whom the accommodations led to a huge score improvement. I believe there is a certain limit on the length of time between the testing with the psych and the SAT, something like 3 years.

Edited by wapiti

Thank you all so much. I'll look into the suggestions and hopefully find something nearby. I'm not as worried about him as I was 2 years ago, but I know that his ACT scores do not represent his ability which may cause difficulty when looking for college. On the other hand, he is scoring better than many of the graduating seniors we know :tongue_smilie:

Is he taking the ACT more than once? Without a learning difference my ACT scores varied a great deal from test to test depending on what skills were tested and how they were presented. The colleges then took the highest scores. I know it is expensive taking it over and over but it may also help give a better picture of what he can do.

However, if he isn't doing well on the ACT and is a poor taker of this type of test, know that in college many, many of my classes were tested in a similar manner using Scantron because it was easier on the teacher to grade. Especially those introductory classes in the first 2 years that attract lots of students. It may be helpful for him to take a class on ACT test taking skills - like how to read questions and discern answers. Lots of places in our area offer this type of class.

Yes, we try to have our kids take the ACT every year beginning at the end of 8th. However, this ds took his first in 9th, took it again this past February, and is schedule to retake in April, and the SAT in May(?). I'm a firm believer that familiarity with the test is a big bonus. He also took the PSAT last fall and scored very average for 10th grade (48, 49, 52 I believe). His scores aren't poor enough that he won't get into college, but he probably won't be in scholarship contention either. But that's OK; this one will be noticed in the lab rather than on tests. He's got great intuition, imagination, and hand skills. I just want to know that I've done everything I can to help him maximize his potential.