Menu

Sonlight LA opinions? Suggestions?

Carrieann

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on Sonlight's LA programs. I would be using core 3 (possibly 2 advanced) but I can't seem to find much information about the programs. Their website just lets you see the overall weekly plan which doesn't give me enough information. I am drawn by the creative aspects but concerned that it lacks enough structure. We are currently using Rod and Staff English and I am 'winging it' with writing (various journaling assignments, writing assignments) but it's just so dry and boring. I am looking for the best of both worlds I guess and I don't know a whole lot about what's out there ....opinions and advice would be greatly appreciated! thank you!!!

I posted this on another thread about SL Language...

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2533654&postcount=5

After trying SL over and over, hoping I would learn to like it, it just never took root. I never felt it had any logic in the grammar it was covering from week to week, if it did cover grammar at all. At best you could use it as a supplement to another LA program.

Yes, structure is what I found lacking in SL LA. :glare: I tried 20 weeks of 2 int. with Becca before getting frustrated at the haphazard grammar instruction and not enough guidance on the creative work. We went to trusty R&S grammar and back to WWE. We're just using the spelling words from SL.

I'm going to try the LA with my oldest next year when she does Core 5. I'll use Rod and staff for Grammar and Sonlight for writing. I'm actually looking forward to it. However, I looked at the LA for my youngest who'll be doing Core 1+2 and have decided against it. Like previous posters have said, I feel like it's disorganized, and has no structure to it. I plan on using Bob Jones' 3rd grade English and Writing curriculum. I like to wait until 4th grade for Rod and Staff, but if my youngest does well with Bob Jones, maybe we'll stick with that. Who knows?!?:tongue_smilie: Back to Sonlight, a friend had all the readers so I'm thinking I'll use the readers at my own pace with DITHOR (we love DITHOR).

HTH!

Dorinda

We love SLs readers, but even though I have the LA for the 2 intermediate readers for our upcoming 1+2 core, we are sticking with R&S and WTM language skills across the curriculum. It really reassures me to work in a systematic, incremental approach with LA. I also feel the amount of original writing asked for in SL isn't appropriate for my daughter :).

This is another frequent criticism of SL LA. The reading level and the (expected) creative output level are waaaay out of sync.

I think it is closer to public school LA than it is to the incremental approach most classical educators prefer. Of course, my children haven't been to public school :tongue_smilie:....but from what I've read about some PS scope and sequences....