Menu

AAS a Phonics Program

Tsutsie

I typically see phonics as a means to an end. In other words, I teach phonics to teach reading. When a child is reading well, there's no more need to teach phonics. Then the shift is to teaching how to translate reading into good writing and that includes spelling. I would say that AAS would be sufficient to help teach any more phonics rules that a child would need at that point to help them spell well. Does that answer your question?

Guest renickse

I did a phonics book (Horizon Phonics K) with my son as he was beginning to read. After a while, I realized we needed something more. I selected AAS as our next step precisely because it has such strong foundational instruction in the same things we were learning in our phonics material. Hope that helps. I think it is a wonderful program! One of my best curriculum finds ever.

Decoding and encoding are separate skills, and sometimes need to be taught in two different ways. We have used a separate phonics program, and use AAS for review and spelling instruction. The reason we chose a separate phonics program is that my daughter has been learning to read at a much faster pace than she learns to encode at. She can do 1-3 phonograms a day, and our AAS progress is much slower than that :).

I was wondering/hoping that AAS might be sufficient as a phonics program for a child that already reads well?

Yes, it will reinforce phonograms, rules (which also apply in sounding out new words) and help with breaking down multi-syllable words.

Heather