Menu

Where to get a specific dog

After 8 years, my DH has finally agreed to let me get a dog. WOOHOO!!! BUT, we have allergies in our family--not to dogs, yet--so I need to get a more allergenic dog. But, I don't want a puppy. I want a dog that is at least a year old to bypass the puppy stage. I have a short list of acceptable breeds/hybrids, but I don't know where to look to try to find one of these dogs since we don't want a puppy.

Any suggestions? I will be watching the paper. I checked my humane society website and they only had 15 dogs listed, all of which were breeds we can't have. I assume they have more than the 15 on their site? :confused: Ya, I've never been to the pound so I have no clue.:tongue_smilie:

Well, I would still look for reputable breeders of the breeds that you want and see what they have. It's not uncommon for them to have an "older" dog or two for sale, although they'd probably still be under a year? Also, our newspaper has a large pet section, and some times people are moving, or have another reason, and will advertise their pet for sale there. My mom frequents a website that has tons of dogs listed on it.

We lost one of our beloved Goldens to cancer last year, but we still have one. She came to us from relatives at one year of age. They just weren't prepared for how big she was going to get, her energy level, etc. She's been our wonderful pet for 10 years now.

Our 10-year-old Shih-tzu came from a great-aunt who had to go into an Alzheimer's unit and couldn't take her dog.

Our Cavaliers came from a breeder as puppies. They're only 2 y.o. now.

So, lots of dogs from different places.

Good luck!

I got my standard poodle from the humane society in a town a couple hours away. I used petfinder.com and called. She was 2 when I got her, but she was a mess, untrained etc. She is wonderful now.

If you are trying to bypass some of the hard work, you might want to go through a breeder. Rescue dogs usually have issues.

I vote for a breed-specific rescue, but if you are wanting the allergy factor, be sure they direct you within the rescue to a purebred of the breed: many times they take in mutts that are 'predominantly' the breed in question, but not pure, so the allergy issue may still be a problem.

A reputable breeder would be great-- especially if you contact several and ask them to keep an eye out/ear to the ground for a bit older dog. That will be the priciest option though.

Another place would be craigslist, but many times the people giving away or selling the dogs might not even be correct about the breed or that it's a purebred. And they are likely backyard breeders looking to make a buck, so you might pay several hundred dollars for a dog that has conformation flaws and health issues.

good luck!

Another vote for breed specific rescue or petfinder.

We were given a beautiful, poorly treated, badly behaved golden retriever a few years ago. She was far too much for me to handle, so I gave her to our region's Golden retriever rescue group. They put a lot of medical care and work into her (that we could not afford and wouldn't have known how to do) and found her a perfect new home. They emailed me updates at every stage and kept her name the same. My then 6yo had named her and it was so important to him. I was so glad to know that she fared so well.

We just, last month got a puppy off Petfinders. She was in foster care in a neighboring parish (county). We would not have found her otherwise. You can search by breed, size, age, special needs, etc. The group we worked with was absolutely amazing. We were the 4th family to inquire after this dog. They turned down the other families because they didn't seem the right fit. During our first convo, the foster mom assured me that this dog belongs with us. They even bent the rules to get her into our home faster. Savannah is an absolutely amazing dog. We are all completely in love with her. I don't know how she knew, but foster mom was right. She is perfect for us.

Our experiences with both groups were 100% positive. I can't recommend either enough. Truly wonderful organizations mathcing dogs in need with their perfect families.

I'd be suspicious of rescues charging much more than $300. I understand up to that fee. Humane societies/rescues around here charge around $250 for a puppy, but that covers their care, feeding, shots, neutering/spaying.

We just got this little guy last Friday:

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/18703898

The rescue organization he came from does a lot of puppy mill rescues. That's where he came from. He was a "designer dog" destined for a pet store until the puppy mill was raided :glare:. So far, so good. He's a smart,healthy pup, but by no means up to snuff on breed standards for shih tzu or maltese!

Have you tried Craigslist? The pets part is in a different section from the for sale stuff. Just look under the COMMUNITY section and you will see PETS listed. They have set a low limit on their rehoming fee.

Have you considerd a Bichon Frise? We love our Bichon angel!! :)

I'd be suspicious of rescues charging much more than $300. I understand up to that fee. Humane societies/rescues around here charge around $250 for a puppy, but that covers their care, feeding, shots, neutering/spaying.

We just got this little guy last Friday:

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/18703898

The rescue organization he came from does a lot of puppy mill rescues. That's where he came from. He was a "designer dog" destined for a pet store until the puppy mill was raided :glare:. So far, so good. He's a smart,healthy pup, but by no means up to snuff on breed standards for shih tzu or maltese!

All the one's I saw that I'd want on this site were very strict--you had to live within a 60 mile radius of the rescue center so they can do a home study first. We live 89+ miles from them. Who knew it was so hard to find a dog.:lol: But I am going to start scanning the newspapers and praying that the right dog finds our family.

I the mean time, the neighbor across the street with a black lab just gave my kids permission to come over whenever the dog is out and they can play with him. They were over there at least an hour this afternoon having a ball.