Menu

Which Phonics Program

Tsutsie

I recently subscibed the ETC Online, and I'm not happy at all. They would score my son "poor" on a activity, while I sat next to him and made sure he did it all right. After that, I also tried it, and according to them, "rabbit" is spelled incorrectly as such. All and all, I think the concept is excellent, but they need to sort out some issues. It's very demotivated for a little guy to get a bubblebee (poor) when he deserves a airplane (excellent). Anyway..

We did HOP K, 1 and 2. He reads very well - I guess around a 3rd grade level.

Do you have any suggestions as to a phonics program for the little guy? I'd like to do another year of phonics, just to make sure he has it down pat before we start into more complicated grammar, etc.

Thank you Hive!

I think you will get a lot of different answers, but I would use OPGTR for this. The lessons are short and could easily be done as phonics review for a child who already reads (in some ways I actually think it is better designed to be used this way than to teach a child to read initially). Plus, the phonics go up to a 4th grade multi-syllabic level. You could skip the beginning letter/sounds/cvc words and move straight into long vowels/vowel teams or even start further on depending on what concepts you want to soldify. It's a very customizable book.

Edited by FairProspects

I would just switch to a spelling program that is phonics-based, if he's reading on a 3rd grade level already.

:iagree: That's what I did with my precocious 5yo this year. A good spelling course can pick up where phonics leaves off. :001_smile:

R&S 2nd grade English (from what I understand, it's a quick-paced review of phonics)

R&S English 2 is grammar, no phonics. They have a separate phonics program though. That's probably what you're thinking of. :)

I would just switch to a spelling program that is phonics-based, if he's reading on a 3rd grade level already.

:iagree: That's what I did. We're using AAS for my first grader that was self-taught in reading. He's getting the phonics he needs to push past those 4th grade level multisyllable words.

Perhaps Funnix 2, R&S 2nd grade English (from what I understand, it's a quick-paced review of phonics), ABeCeDarian or Dancing Bears (they have a fast track that combines the first 2 levels before tackling the 3rd)?

I've heard this before about R&S English 2, but I have it in front of me and there is no phonics at all.