Menu

Really?? IMO, you are using a really wide brush, Mejane, when you say there are those here who believe the poor or minorities can do NO wrong. I have never seen anyone whi has expressed that opinion here, and I'd really appreciate it if you could point me to some examples of this...

Oh, I think there are plenty of broad brushes to go around. ;) I'm not going to go on a hunt for examples. Any thread about who has and does not have money, government assistance programs, and the like will turn up plenty on both sides of the issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by duckens viewpost.gif

Actually, the limits I listed are for Disability in our state (Iowa). I have a close friend who works with special needs adults, and those are the rules.

One thing to keep in mind is that Social Security was overhauled in the 90s. States were given the flexibility to create their own programs concerning benefits and to encourage people to return to work after becoming disabled. It is possible that our state is more strict than others.

Reply by a PP:

I think you are confused or mistaken. I am not an expert at all, but I am pretty confident that you are confusing SSDI and other entitlement programs (SS Retirement) with SSI/Medicaid (welfare). States do indeed vary in how they use the welfare funds, but retirement and disability funds are still federally controlled.

I just know that in our state, recipients of SSDI are invited/encouraged/urged to participate in the new programs and return to work at the level they are able to do so.

The programs of our state are not the same as what is offered everywhere, and there have been rumors that the MEPD program (which requires work to have access for Medicare/Medicaid) and the "Ticket to Work" program be a model for other states because of how successful they have been at returning the disabled to a work environment.

My mom is unable to qualify for ssd due to not having enough work credits. She was unable to keep a job through winter, and her disability limited what she could do. She worked when she could, and had to report income since she was receiving ssi. Even once when THEY miscalculated her benefits and caught it, she and to repay the overage.

Now, she is in a wheelchair and still unable to work. She gets less than $700 a month to live on.

OTOH, my fil has not kept a job for more than a year, has been on unemployment three times since I have known him. When his most recent unemployment benefits ran out (he was fired due to sexual harassment, but still got unemployment?) he started complaining about pain. He got knee replacements (paid by us, since he is a veteran) and is now trying to sue the only dr that would do the surgery. Others said that he didn't need it. Now, he is getting social security disability. He gets over $1200 a month from that, and his va disability is up to 30% and he gets money for that as well. He does not have to claim income as far as I know. He tried to claim his deceased ex wife's social security, but couldn't since they were not married long enough. She had more work credits than he does.

Sorry so long... This benefits thing gets me going. I understand that there is a reason for it and that it is trying to be fair, but how is that one person who can't work gets so little while another who could, but doesn't want to try get so much?

I also hope this clears up a little bit of the confusion about the different types of social security.

I said "receiving disability," not that he's actually disabled. He's able to get himself to the liquor store handily enough. And he's able to gamble a great deal, as well. And if it's coming out of his mouth, you can assume that it's a lie. As a taxpayer, I'm wondering if his whole situation is a scam.

It's not your call to decide whether he is disabled. That is the job of the doctors who evaluate him. It sounds like you really dislike this person and that is what is motivating you.

I'd say stay out of it. Not your trouble to borrow.

Tara

Valerie,

I'm sorry, it sounds like you're dealing with a complicated, difficult sitiuation. I have a family member with drug abuse issues and I know how emotionally tapping it is.

The thing with this board is, we respond to the information given to us, and it seemed from your initial posts that it was more a "nosy neighbor" situation than a complicated family issue. I know you were trying to not give out too much information, and I'm sorry for jumping to conclusions, but just a bit more of background would have been so helpful in seeing a clearer picture.

good luck,

lisa

:iagree: When you post that you know someone receiving disability who gets money from family and should you turn him in?, don't get annoyed when people think you're overstepping and seem biased. Especially here. Too many of us have heard the "most disabled people really aren't and people who can't find jobs are just lazy" speeches over and over. Makes a person a bit touchy.

I found some info explaining the difference between SSDI and SSI at

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/245/~/difference-between-social-security-disability-and-ssi-disability

What is the difference between Social Security disability and SSI disability?

Social Security is responsible for two major programs that provide benefits based on disability: Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI), which is based on prior work under Social Security, and Supplemental Security Income (SSI). Under SSI, payments are made on the basis of financial need.

Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) is financed with Social Security taxes paid by workers, employers, and self-employed persons. To be eligible for a Social Security benefit, the worker must earn sufficient credits based on taxable work to be "insured" for Social Security purposes. Disability benefits are payable to blind or disabled workers, widow(er)s, or adults disabled since childhood, who are otherwise eligible. The amount of the monthly disability benefit is based on the Social Security earnings record of the insured worker.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a program financed through general revenues. SSI disability benefits are payable to adults or children who are disabled or blind, have limited income and resources, meet the living arrangement requirements, and are otherwise eligible. The monthly payment varies up to the maximum federal benefit rate, which may be supplemented by the State or decreased by countable income and resources. See Understanding Supplemental Security Income for an explanation of SSI benefit payment rates.

SSI is affected by income, including gifts. So whether or not this individual is committing fraud depends on what type of disability he is receiving. With SSDI probably not (although I'm not 100% positive), with SSI it sounds like he probably would be since there are definitly income limits on it.

HTH,

Mary

Edited by Mary in VA

Being an alcoholic wife-beater does not preclude him from being disabled. In fact, all of the additional info gives more weight to the idea he may have a mental disability. That doesn't make him a nice guy or anything, but I don't think you know enough about the situation or how SSDI works to call and report fraud. I can sympathize with the feeling that it is unjust. If you want to argue being a felon or drug user *should* keep you from getting SSDI, that I'd another discussion.