Menu

Is there any way to stop teeth-grinding?

My ds9, who has Down syndrome, has been grinding his teeth for as long as he's had baby teeth. It's so subtle, though, that we have never heard or seen him doing it...but it's obvious because he wore his baby teeth down to nubs and started wearing down permanent teeth as well. He wears a mouth guard at night and chewed through it in less than 3 months.

I'm not convinced that night-time is the only time he's grinding, so if there's a way to stop it, I need to try. Any suggestions? Aside from wearing the mouth guard, his dentist and orthodontist have not had any helpful suggestions.

Carolyn

I know some therapy programs for TMJ disorder, which can include grinding, include a few sessions with a psychologist to try to change or bring to surface those behaviors that lead to the grinding. I am not sure how that would work with a child though... Was he given any jaw/mouth stretches to do? Sometimes that can help, too. Often the mouth guard has to be worn throughout the day as well until the behavior or habit is broken.

Good luck!

Is he working with a speech pathologist? Sometimes they can work on the sensory part of this and help. I know when I was teaching they would often give the child things like special tubing that they could chew and recommend regular gum chewing because it would be softer than grinding.

Thank you for the suggestions, ladies. Ds was in speech therapy several years ago from age 18 months-4 years. His speech was clear enough (w/ some minor anomalies) that we felt comfortable stopping when we moved away. Now people have trouble understanding him, mainly because he talks too fast. If we tell him to slow down, it's easier to understand. So...I think it's time to revisit ST for more than one issue. I guess I needed that push :glare:.

He used to chew his straw cups. Besides gum (he'd swallow it, for sure), what are some other things he could safely chew on?

OhE...no, I have never considered hypnosis. I'm not sure how I feel about that. It seems scary :confused:.

Carolyn

Z-vibe has pencils, pens, all sorts of neat tips that go interchangeably on a unit that vibrates. Our SLP also suggested electric toothbrushes, crunchy food during the day (bell pepper strips, carrot sticks, etc.), etc. Once you get on a site selling the zvibe, you'll find other cool things to suit him. There's also stuff you can do when you brush his teeth. I tell my ds we're doing "all around the world", and I take the toothbrush and just gently give sensory input around his mouth (cheeks, roof, tongue, etc.). On the websites selling z-vibe, you'll probably find some little gadgets for that, things like vibrating rings or suckers, etc. Same idea.

I know the hypnosis sounds nutty, but I was trying to toss it out. Certainly can't hurt. If the idea scares you, you might do some board searches for hypno-birthing and see if that train of thought leads you anywhere. A person who teaches hypnobirthing might know someone you'd feel comfortable with for this. I don't even know if it could work, lol, just tossing it out. Desperate times, desperate measures.

And yes, sounds like he needs more speech therapy. Our PROMPT therapist works with some Downs kids. Might give you another way to look if you don't have a current one you're satisfied with. If the SLP sees a lot of SPD kids, then she might have some options for you too.

I was grinding my teeth...during the day only...while in college. Defenitely anxiety related but also I am a hyper oral sensative person. I didn't see how old your son is but I do know that the SLP recommended bite sticks for my dd and my first thought was..."wow, I needed those in college when I would get all tense and grind my teeth!...or shoot I need them now when I bite my nails" Funny thing is that I mainly bite my nails while I drive which was mainly when I would grind my teeth. My dad bites straws...which is also terrible. I suppose the moral of the story is to look for some healthier or better alternatives...like the bite straws (I beleive they won't do the damage that regular straws do).

Music has a real affect on me. It had to be a calm sing-songy type...like some types of country (which I had never listened to in my life at that time), folk or...think elevator type music. However my dh claims heavy metal calms him :glare:...so I suppose you'll have to test it out a bit. As an adult I like Contemporary Christian for me and the kids...I do think music is very therapeutic for us.