Menu

Helping people in Japan

I think I would like to find some way to help the people in Japan. We are not in a position to just write a check. Also, I think it would be good for dc to really participate in this. I think I can organize some others in this area (maybe???) to do this as well.

I have never raised money for anything. Can you please give me some ideas of how to do this? I can think of the usual--bake sale, tag sale, car wash. Please help with other ideas or approaches.

Thank you.

I found out that the comic book store that I take my dd to that sells a lot of manga and anime from Japan was taking up a collection for relief and matching the funds. Maybe you can check around and see if your local comic book shops are doing the same? I know how you feel. It's such a helpless feeling to see their suffering and not really be able to help much. I won't give anything to the Red Cross anymore but that's just me. There are a lot of other relief organizations that I'm sure are on the ground there. I think a bake sale, lemonade stand, car wash, craft sale etc would be a great way to involve the kids. :)

I found out that the comic book store that I take my dd to that sells a lot of manga and anime from Japan was taking up a collection for relief and matching the funds. Maybe you can check around and see if your local comic book shops are doing the same? I know how you feel. It's such a helpless feeling to see their suffering and not really be able to help much. I won't give anything to the Red Cross anymore but that's just me. There are a lot of other relief organizations that I'm sure are on the ground there. I think a bake sale, lemonade stand, car wash, craft sale etc would be a great way to involve the kids. :)

Every Nation Ministries is already providing help. This is an organization associated with a local church that a couple of my friends attend in Yokosuka. (In fact, they are a couple of the other homeschoolers from the Navy base in Yokosuka.)

Their church has sister churches in Yokohama and elsewhere in Japan. The churches are a mix of expats and local Japanese families. One of my friends was telling me that the Kanto plain churches are taking a truck of coats and blankets and other supplies up to the Sendai region tomorrow (late Wed US east coast time). These are supplies that they have collected in the Kanto area. (I don't have a personal familiarity with this ministry, but I take the recommendation of my friend as a good one and I know that they are already in a position to provide relief.)

My personal suggestion is to give money if possible (to a group like Every Nation or to the Red Cross or to other groups that are already based in Japan). Most of Japan is not ravaged by the quake. They will be able to buy supplies and get them to the evacuees faster than if they were to collect blankets and other goods in the US and ship them over. They are also able to spend the money on items that are most appropriate to the need at hand.

Update: From articles I'm reading, it sounds like Salvation Army is also actively providing relief.

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)