Menu

Going from Rod and Staff to Abeka Grammar...

My kids have detested Rod and Staff the past few years we have used it!! We have used grades 2-6. The other day they were able to look at a friends Abeka Grammar workbook and are BEGGING me to please consider switching.

Why?? Because of all of the writing. I have to say that I am a bit sad, but I do agree with them. They would much rather have a workbook format, and they feel like Abeka does not seem so "busy".... the instructions are to the point instead of using 2-4 pages to explain something. It also takes them about 45 minutes to complete a lesson, even when they do not do all of the exercises. I also really need something that they could just pick up, read and go do on their own. My friend who has used Abeka Grammar from grades 1-7 says that her children, for the most part, are able to pick up and go with Abeka...... and it rarely takes more that 15-20 minutes!!!

So, I would love some feed back from you guys.... and can I just get by with just buying the answer key for Abeka? I just don't know what would benefit me in their "curruculum guides"

Thanks!!

Jennifer

and that for the answers. You do not need the Curriculum Guide (the day-by-day lesson plans).

You could easily switch to Abeka; I don't think it would be "wrong" at all. But, I'm wondering, did your dear friend add in a writing program to her 15-20 minutes/day? If it takes 20 minutes to do the Abeka, and then you do a separate writing program such as Wordsmith or Jump-In, wouldn't your total time be approximately the same?

(Of course, we switched from Abeka in 5th to R&S in 6th and now 7th - so, we're on a different journey. The Abeka did not have the built-in review (even using the Curriculum guide), and my ds really needed that.)

Best wishes!

Rhonda

We have also switched from A Beka to R&S. R&S has been soooo much better for my kids!

I hear people saying how long R&S takes them, and I'm not sure why? I wonder if we're doing it wrong, cuz we can go through it in not long at all! We do much of it orally, do the diagramming on white boards, and on the days they have writing assignments, they do that in not too long. My kids are learning and retaining, and their scores on the ITBS jumped up quite a bit! We are loving it!

Are we doing it differently than others? I'm just not sure why people say it's so long and drawn out?

A Beka wasn't nearly as clear for us. But it's certainly more colorful than R&S. I think R&S is much more advanced and thorough, but that could just be me! :)

I have to agree with your friend! I keep hearing the opposite, but from our experience ABeka has CLEAR, TO THE POINT explanations. When we did a temporary switch to R&S it took so long just to get past the explanations and then to have to write out sentences (or part of sentences) too was overwhelming.

The main hang up I have with ABeka is the writing is all in one chunk in the back of the book. The way R&S has it all scheduled out through out the book is fantastic.

R&S has the best teacher's book ever with everything in one book. With ABeka we only bought the TE for the answers and used the checkup reviews for test so that I didn't have to buy test books and test keys. Like pp I don't think you need the curriculum guide. For the writing I just assigned it off and on through out the year so it wouldn't all end up at the end.

I am always on the fence about what I will use for our lil bit, but those long-drawn out explanations that R&S has is a real hang up for me.

Well, all your replies have been very helpful.

It is making me really think about "why" we are wanting to switch?? Is it laziness? They understand Rod and Staff, but complain about the long lessons. I do have to say that they are retaining the information too.

I have done quite a few lessons out loud, but would rather use that time for read alouds or other work. Since I still have a preschooler and a toddler that need my attention, it is hard to work everything in. This is why I really want anything I use to be very student led if at all possible. Which, hmmmm, Rod and Staff really is.

I do think we may have some laziness issues going on here.... :001_huh:

The past two years have been very rocky. We have had several curriculum changes as well as new babies.... and I allowed a few things to slide because I was just plain tired! BUT.... They all know that those days are over. I am getting my ducks all in a row for fall.

Geez.... did I just talk myself into staying with Rod and Staff???????????:tongue_smilie:

I think for grammar you could easily switch to Abeka and have it be more student lead. I need the day by day lesson to be sure I'm not missing anything that needs to be taught. For writing I really need to look into IEW for my ds. Abeka really hasnt taught him how to write.

Anyhow, if its grammar your looking for I think you'd be happy with Abeka.

Well, all your replies have been very helpful.

It is making me really think about "why" we are wanting to switch?? Is it laziness? They understand Rod and Staff, but complain about the long lessons. I do have to say that they are retaining the information too.

I have done quite a few lessons out loud, but would rather use that time for read alouds or other work. Since I still have a preschooler and a toddler that need my attention, it is hard to work everything in. This is why I really want anything I use to be very student led if at all possible. Which, hmmmm, Rod and Staff really is.

I do think we may have some laziness issues going on here.... :001_huh:

The past two years have been very rocky. We have had several curriculum changes as well as new babies.... and I allowed a few things to slide because I was just plain tired! BUT.... They all know that those days are over. I am getting my ducks all in a row for fall.

Geez.... did I just talk myself into staying with Rod and Staff???????????:tongue_smilie:

Have you considered Growing with Grammar? It might be a good compromise. It's a bit less time intensive then R&S, and there's certainly less writing.

Thanks everyone....

Well, I am still thinking about switching to Abeka. We will be using Tapestry of Grace and I plan on using their writing component.

I have looked into growing with grammar, but they only go up to 5th grade, which does not work for me right now.

Thanks again.... I am getting closer to a decision!!!!