Menu

I hope my son never cleans his room!

My ds10 is banned from all non-school related reading until his room is spotlessly clean. It is not an impossible task. I helped him get it spotless a few weeks ago. He's let it slide ever since (despite daily room cleaning times). He is allowed to watch t.v. (the tiny bit we allow), play inside and out - he just cannot read for pleasure until it is done. This is a huge motivator since he always has a nose in his book! But - today he chose to watch t.v. for the 1/2 hour I allow while I'm showering etc. in the morning, and now he's playing outside! And I'm happy. I don't care if he puts it off for now. Getting him up off his butt and doing active play was one of my goals too!:D

That's funny because my guys are exactly the opposite. They would never read if I didn't enforce D.I.R.T.

If you aren't familiar with the term, stands for Daily Individual Reading Time. We've called it that forever and it just goes with my boys.