Menu

ideas for a monster-themed home-classroom?

MeganW

We officially begin homeschooling in the fall for kindergarten. Public school registration was last week, so of course everyone (meaning well) is asking my kids if they went to registration, are they excited, etc. etc.

My kiddos are feeling a little left out despite my assurances that they ARE going to kindergarten, we will be having some school with friends (CC), etc.

"But Mommy, I really want to ride the school bus!" is one major disappointment, and of course I can't do anything about that. Frankly, they wouldn't be riding the bus even if they WERE going to PS, but that's beside the point.

The other big disappointment is that each class has a theme, class mascot, etc. Miss Green's Frogs. Mrs. Brown's Bears. Etc. etc.

I was planning on doing the calendar / weather thing again next year anyway, so I found a calendar that had a monster theme (cute monsters, not scary monsters).

Mommy's Monsters!

Thoughts for ways to incorporate the monster theme past just the calendar? I know in our PS classrooms, the frog class has "Hoppy Helpers", but I don't know what else they do with it.

Don't know if you're a quilter or not, but I've always thought this pattern was adorable. Maybe you could, I don't know, paint the monsters on your wall or something. :biggrinjester:

http://www.kinshipandkompany.com/ngallery/monster/monster.htm

There are also some fun Monster Math books (Monster Math Picnic, etc.) that you can find on Amazon. Maybe those'll give you some ideas.

What a fun theme! I'd love to hear what you come up with.

This is out there but you said hoppy helpers-well monster miners maybe? A miner is a worker so possibly maybe I don't know it kinda sounded cute. Maybe you could find some pictures of monsters doing nice things or something and use that to teach monster character! Possibly find some stampers with little monsters so you can stamp their papers. They could do a craft project the first day and make their monster kinda like a paper doll and he could do school with them I am just thinking of things my kids might like so hope that helped some.