Menu

RightStart, jumping out of order, and fractions (maybe LOF?)

melissel

DD8 asked me today if we could learn about fractions. We're only in the subtraction phase of RightStart C. She's getting bored with the repetition but still needs practice nailing down her facts. I don't want to jump ahead because I know there's a progression, and it's working for DD8. But I do want to let her learn about some something she's eager for, especially in math (which she's typically not very eager about in general!).

So my question is: Would it be OK to find a resource for her to learn about fractions now instead of making her wait until we reach it in RS? Or will that somehow mess up the RS teaching method along the way? If you think it's OK, what's a good resource? Would LOF Fractions be a good choice now, or would it assume more knowledge than she has at the moment? If not LOF, what would you recommend?

TIA!

I tried LOF with my 8 year old last year and found it was too hard. She loved it and happily did the first 10 or 15 lessons, but the further she went, the more help she needed. At that time, she just didn't have a solid enough knowledge of multiplication and long division. We're doing TT5 and I think we'll try it again when we finish.

If you want to work on Fractions, how about MM (blue book) Fractions 1?

I was going to recommend the MM blue book, too. We're only in B, but I've used other resources when we felt it was time to learn something else for a while, and I actually think that has worked out much, much better for us than going straight through RS. DD doesn't get bored that way and she gets to be on a more typical learning track, and sometimes we just need a break from those long RS lessons. It works for us. :)