Menu

Diagramming question

DS9 can diagram anything BUT he can't pick out the parts of speech in a sentence. If I tell him to circle the adjectives in the sentence, "The first brown dog ate the boy's lunch," he would struggle to find the adjectives and probably circle "ate." However, if I told him to diagram the same sentence, everything would be in its proper place.

He knows the definitions of the parts of speech so that isn't the problem.

So why is this an issue?

Can he learn to take extra words out, and thus identify nouns and verbs, and then the extra words will likely be something other than a noun or verb?

For example, he would need to remove The first brown the boy's so he'd end up with dog ate lunch. Or the other way around, pick out the essential words, dog ate lunch. If he picked the wrong words, it won't make sense or will change the meaning--brown ate boy's. Then he labels (not diagrams) the words, adding in words where they belong, and learning why they belong there, and therefore what part of speech they are.

In Analytical Grammar, they have the child label each word in the sentence before they diagram it. They slowly build up to it starting with nouns and verbs and then moving on to adjectives and so forth. Might be an idea for you to try.

I haven't tried that within the sentence itself.

Can he learn to take extra words out, and thus identify nouns and verbs, and then the extra words will likely be something other than a noun or verb?

For example, he would need to remove The first brown the boy's so he'd end up with dog ate lunch. Or the other way around, pick out the essential words, dog ate lunch. If he picked the wrong words, it won't make sense or will change the meaning--brown ate boy's. Then he labels (not diagrams) the words, adding in words where they belong, and learning why they belong there, and therefore what part of speech they are.

We use "cave man speak" to identify simple subject - simple predicate - direct object (noun-verb-noun) which leaves him with the other words. Rather than diagramming (which, like I said, he has no problem with), I could have him cross those out and then label the rest in the sentence.

In Analytical Grammar, they have the child label each word in the sentence before they diagram it. They slowly build up to it starting with nouns and verbs and then moving on to adjectives and so forth. Might be an idea for you to try.

This is what I do with my son. He labels the sub, verb, and any subject complements. He places parentheses around prepositional phrases. Then, he draws arrows from modifiers to the words they modify. THEN, he diagrams the sentence.

He's in R&S7, and is now able to go through a sentence and name all the parts of speech. He has been good a diagramming for years, but is just now able to do what you (OP) are describing.

Keep at it. It will come.