Menu

Poll: Staying at a hotel that's "haunted" - Would you?

How would the alleged presence of ghosts affect your choice of hotel/B&B?  

1. 1. How would the alleged presence of ghosts affect your choice of hotel/B&B?

• I believe in ghosts, and I'd be more likely to stay at a haunted place.
    • I believe in ghosts, and I wouldn't want to stay at a place advertised as haunted.
    • I believe in ghosts, but that wouldn't affect my hotel choice.
    • I don't believe in ghosts, and I'd be more likely to stay at a haunted place.
    • I don't believe in ghosts, but I wouldn't want to stay at a place that claims to be haunted.
    • I don't believe in ghosts, and it wouldn't affect my decision at all.
    • Other!

I don't believe in ghosts, but I am open to the possibility they exist. My SIL is a huge believer, and we go on ghost hunts all the time. We would absolutely stay somewhere that reported ghost activity in the hopes of seeing one. But I am the non-believer in the bunch. We always have fun though, and I am usually the one that can make things creepy, by telling a good story, or setting the mood.

I would not seek out a haunted place. I have stayed in a couple of B&Bs that were haunted. I did not know it at the time, but I did not sleep well at either of them.

One was in Vermont, and we learned that the wife of a sailor who owned the house died and was buried under the front tree that our room was right next to. I woke up in the middle of the night feeling deeply unsettled like I was being watched. Several times, I felt cold in the bathroom. At the time, I had no idea why. We ended up seeing the B&B on a haunted New England show a few years later.

Another was just outside of Gettysburg, PA. It was a gorgeous place - I think it was called the Stone Barn or something like that. The stone building was used as a Confederate army hospital during the Civil War. I thought nothing of that when I was booking it. Our room was downstairs, around the side of the inn, and it had it's own entrance. From the moment I entered, something was just not right. We stayed the night anyway, and I was awake most of the night. I could not wait to get out of there.

My grandparents lived behind us while I was growing up in the house where my great-grandfather died. It was very common to hear footsteps throughout the day/night when no one was upstairs. I fully believe he was haunting the place. He never felt evil though.

Other. I am more interested in how comfy the beds are and whether the bathroom is nice or not, but if I went to book in somewhere and it had bad vibes, I'd go elsewhere.

The only time I've met unhappy ghosties was in the solitary confinement block at Port Arthur (convict settlement.) The corridor was bad enough, but I walked into the chapel and walked right out again. That was horrible, horrible, horrible.

A friend and I went to an old mansion estate and she refused to go anywhere near the laundry building, because of unhappy ghosties, but I didn't feel a thing. I didn't stay in there long though, laundries aren't interesting :tongue_smilie:

Rosie

Other. I am more interested in how comfy the beds are and whether the bathroom is nice or not, but if I went to book in somewhere and it had bad vibes, I'd go elsewhere.

The only time I've met unhappy ghosties was in the solitary confinement block at Port Arthur (convict settlement.) The corridor was bad enough, but I walked into the chapel and walked right out again. That was horrible, horrible, horrible.

A friend and I went to an old mansion estate and she refused to go anywhere near the laundry building, because of unhappy ghosties, but I didn't feel a thing. I didn't stay in there long though, laundries aren't interesting :tongue_smilie:

Rosie

What's special about the laundry building? Was she afraid she might run into a ghost wearing a bedsheet? :D

I said that I don't believe in ghosts and the reason I probably wouldn't purposely stay at a "haunted" house/hotel is that I don't want anyone messin' with me!! LOL I wouldn't be convinced that things weren't happening on purpose and I wasn't being videotaped. :P

The job I had many years ago (before kids) involved at lot of travel. One trip the secretary set up hotel rooms at the Queen Mary in California. Beautiful rooms, scenery , loved the atmosphere, etc.

The team I was on was there for more than a week and we asked the concierge if there were any ghosts. He hemmed and hawed (obviously not supposed to say) and said 'IF ghosts were real, and IF you wanted to see where one would be, you might look in x, x and x.' We checked around one night at 2:00 am but didn't see anything. It was the highlight of the trip. :)

I voted; don't belive in ghosts, would be amused to stay at a place that claimed to have them.