Menu

Science advice for future science major

I plan to major in Biochemistry.

So far, I've taken:

9th: Intro to Physics

10th: Biology w/lab

11th: Chemistry w/lab (now)

12th???

I am trying to decide on which Advanced Science course to take next year. At first, I was thinking Physics. Physics is harder for me to grasp, so to have done it in 9th grade and then not do it again until I take it in college kind of scares me. But, then I see there are a BUNCH more Chemistry requirements for the major than Physics (2 Physics requirements).

Chemistry is easier for me than Physics was.

So, would you go for Advanced Chem., Advanced Physics, or both simultaneously?

Note: I do NOT plan to take an AP exam or to test out of these courses. This is more for admissions purposes, not getting out of the course.

I think time-wise, I could handle 2 science courses, but I don't know financially. Physics alone will cost about $230 and that is with used texts and such (I have to buy a lab kit).

I've called the Director of Sciences at the school and emailed her about 3 weeks ago but haven't heard back. I talked to the Admissions Director today but I didn't expect her to know what they like to see for Biochemistry majors so I'm waiting on the Science Director.

There is probably no way I could take any CC courses so I'm not considering those.

Thanks!

Also, if it matters, my math will be Calculus next year, so the Physics will be Algebra/Trig. based.

I would do advanced chem. Chem. in college is hard and you will need to take a lot of it right away. Don't overload yourself too much with science in sr. year. You will have plenty to take at college. Use the time to explore fields that you might not have much time for in college. When in doubt - learn economics!!!!

I know advanced chem seems like the logical choice, but I'd do physics instead, or as well. If you only had intro to physics, I'm guessing it was more a conceptual class and you mentioned that it's a more challenging subject for you. I'd do a regular physics class so you're up on the math involved as well.

I think you've mentioned that you don't care for Apologia. Am I right? If that's the case, I don't know what to suggest, but I'm sure there are other choices less expensive than the figure you quoted. Apologia physics is actually very good, in my opinion, with presenting both the math and the physics concepts as well. The labs can be done easily on your own for minimal expense. If you feel you learn better from a lecture, you can join VHSG and take physics with them - free.

Good luck with whichever you decide to do. I think it's more important that you do a challenging science class in 12th than which one you do. :)

Thank you for the suggestions!

I found a Physics book that has answers in the back that I can use to brush up on my Physics and I found my old Physics notes.

I'm kind of leaning more towards Advanced Chemistry now since I only need 2 Physics courses in college.

I'm worried about not having a strong Physics background, but Chemistry worries me a bit more since a lot of people say Organic Chem. is a killer.

:confused:

My personal preference would be to do the physics as a formal class, while doing some advanced reading in chem (without lab) to make college chem easier.

Reasoning: IMO there was a bigger jump from high school physics to high school chem. If you choose chemistry, there will be four years (minimum) since your last physics course, which might make it difficult. Also, physics would help keep trigonometry skills sharp.

However, you could also do advanced chem and just do some reading in physics to brush-up.

Either way is good, though I wouldn't do two sciences with labs. The only *bad* choice imo would be to skip science completely :)

My husband (a pharmacist :tongue_smilie:) says that he would have you take a basic organic chemistry course alongside a regular high school physics class.

:iagree:

Hitting organic chem when I was in college was like hitting a brick wall. It was just plain hard. You can take or leave the physics. I didn't think college physics was a big deal, but I only had one class for my Bio degree.

I'd look for an advanced chem that includes organic chem.

My husband (a pharmacist :tongue_smilie:) says that he would have you take a basic organic chemistry course alongside a regular high school physics class.

I appreciate his advice and I'm looking into it. I thought Organic Chem. was out of my "reach" (I thought Adv. Chem. was needed for it) but I'll look into it more now that I know it isn't.

:iagree:

Hitting organic chem when I was in college was like hitting a brick wall. It was just plain hard. You can take or leave the physics. I didn't think college physics was a big deal, but I only had one class for my Bio degree.

I'd look for an advanced chem that includes organic chem.

Thank you, that is good to know.

All the Advanced Chem.'s I've seen are all the way at the end of the books and I think the second half of Zumdahl is considered Chem. 212 in college (I think I read that on these boards) so I don't think I can find one with it in the Chem. 211 part.

Wait, I'm confused, would Advanced Chem. be the same as General Chem. 1 (211) in college, or General Chem. 2 (211)? Isn't it basically all the topics I've learned in Chem. but a lot more in-depth? All this researching is turning my brain into mush :tongue_smilie:

Advanced chem. can be whatever you want it to be, as long as it's chemistry and more advanced than what you already had. Jmo. If you labelled it general chemistry, then you'd have to follow the general chem curriculum.

My undergrad university is piloting a curriculum where they teach organic chemistry first. This is one of the textbooks they're using, which is deliberately written around organic chemistry as applied to biology, for students who haven't had general chemistry but plan to major in chemistry.

http://tinyurl.com/6jjq2rh

They also have a chemistry appreciation course in biochemistry/organic chemistry for non-majors, the prerequisite for which is high school chemistry, which uses this book:

http://tinyurl.com/5wmoys4

(Tinyurls link to Amazon.com)

Please note I haven't read either of these books myself, but I saw the newsletter about changes to the chemistry curriculum and bookmarked it for future reference.

I was a biology major in college, but a biochemistry minor (I took 3 years of chemistry, including general, organic, and biochemistry). I did not have physics in high school, but took a year of physics in college and did just fine. I would opt for advanced chemistry. I would think another year of general chemistry would be helpful before tackling organic chemistry (I found organic chem to be very hard). But maybe you could just study an advanced chem course over the summer and then try a basic organic chem course. I know Veritas Press offers an online organic chemistry class (I am not sure of the requirements to take the class). You could also do the same with physics the summer before you start college, just to brush up on the basics (you will probably only need an algebra based physics class in college given your major). Just a few thoughts. Let us know what you decide :D.

Blessings,

Michelle

Thank you everyone!

I'm still torn because there are different reasons to take all the classes.

I'm *thinking* of doing Advanced Chemistry with Zumdahl and Advanced Physics with Knight, Jones, and Field. I can use the Organic Chemistry chapter in the Zumdahl book to at least become familiar and then maybe buy an Organic Chemistry textbook (I found a few I like) and work through it the summer before college.

I just want to make sure I don't flounder in college. I want a solid understanding of Chem. before I go in.

I really appreciate the help!

I'm welcome to more suggestions, also!

Edited by BeatleMania