Menu

Real science odyssey...

hsmom

We are currently using RSO Life with my DD (1st grade) and love it. I totally think there's enough there, especially for this age. We add-in extra library books for read-alouds, etc., but we've loved the labs so much.

I didn't buy any lab kits, I just used what we had around the house and I seemed to do just fine with the Life Science year so far :)

Good luck to you!

We're also doing RSO Life for 1st grade, and think it's totally appropriate for our year.

They didn't have lab kits when we started, so we're just using what we have. I haven't had to buy many extras.

I add in a few extra books and videos. It's been great!

We're doing RSO Life also, and love it. I bought the kit from homesciencetools.com but I think you could gather most of the materials on your own.

We supplement with books, videos and games - more for fun than anything else. We love science!

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but would RSO Earth and Space be appropriate for kindergarten? My son is obsessed with this topic and I really want to do it, but it says 1-4. I know I could adapt as necessary (and could probably do it again with him in a few years along with his younger sister). I have bought a lot of living books about space, astronomers and astronauts to supplement.

I did get the rock kits for Earth, but nothing for Life. We also read lots of other books, but there are so many most libraries (even not very good ones) have those basic topics covered.

I think Life is good for about K-2nd (it would never work for higher than that for our family, but we do a lot of science). Earth might also work for K-2nd or so. I haven't seen Chem, but I have heard it is quite a step up in difficulty, even recomendations not to use it before 3rd grade. I would recomend you stick with the Life-Earth-Chem pattern (but you could probably switch Life and Earth if you wanted to).

The biggest problem with Life for K is that there is quite a bit of writing required on the lab sheets, but since we usually did them together it wasn't a big problem.