Menu

crazy question about LLATL....

I know LLATL went through a revision a couple years back, but I was wondering which year? Also, is there anyway to "see" what the old version was like? Is it worth it to try to use an old version teacher's manual if you can't get the old version student book? (I'm thinking 1st or 2nd grade level).

Any information would be helpful. Thanks!

This is taken directly from the website:

"Learning Language Arts Through Literature was revised in 1998 and is better than ever! The new editions are bigger, better, and more complete! While still using the integrated language approach, the easy-to-use format includes MORE grammar and spelling instruction (words, tips, and rules). PLUS more creative writing exercises, study skill instruction, and higher order reasoning are incorporated into each lesson. Review Activities follow most lessons providing opportunities for additional skill practice.

Assessments provide quick and easy check-points for student evaluation. Teacher Notes and answers are conveniently found in the margins of the Teacher Book. The Skills Index provides easy reference for all grade levels.

Book Studies for grades 3-8 provide summaries, vocabulary words, comprehension, discussion questions, and exciting activities.

The Student Activity Books are now bound in a convenient book format; no loose pages to contend with! Student Activity Books are the perfect companion to the Learning Language Arts Through Literature series, encouraging the development of independent study skills. In addition, Enrichment Activities such as word puzzles, analogies, and logic/reasoning activities are found ONLY in the Student Activity Books. (Answers to the Enrichment Activities are found in the Teacher Book.)

Be sure to peruse the complete product descriptions. Sample lessons, assessments, and scope and sequence sections will aid in comparing skills."

I'm not certain that you could use an old TM with a new Student. From the way it sounds...you probably could not. HTH

I have both the old and the new Blue and Red (yes, I'm a curriculum junkie!;)) The new Blue is much better than the old Blue IMHO. I'm going to use the old one with the first set of Bob books to add extra CVC practice for my Ker, but that's the major difference between old and new Blue. Other than the first set of readers (old had Bob, new has its own, slightly more challenging) the contents are very similar and the newer, 1998 version is clearer and easier to use (especially since its very hard to find an intact student packet for the old version).

The old Red is more like an easier version of Yellow and up. It doesn't have readers and the student is expected to work on notebook paper for copywork and exercises. The new Red is like the continuation of the new Blue and teaches 2nd grade phonics, has 2nd grade readers, and introduces copywork in the student workbook. I prefer the New red, but since the versions don't overlap as much as the Blues, I think you can use both or either.

I picked up both of my old editions on ebay for $5 ppd, so its not a big outlay to see if you like them or not. Look for spiral-bound versions, those are the early ones.